1747985 Members
4825 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreVirtual 4730FC - Single node storage cluster with FC host connectivity

PrasanthVA
Advisor

StoreVirtual 4730FC - Single node storage cluster with FC host connectivity

StoreVirtual 4730FC - Single node storage  cluster with FC  host connectivity  without a 10G network going to work ?

Anyone have above mentioned config ?

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to HP StoreVirtual Storage / LeftHand. - Hp Forum Moderator

10 REPLIES 10
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: StoreVirtual 4730FC - Single node storage cluster with FC host connectivity

by "No network" do you mean no FC switch and direct attached host?

If so, then the answer is No.  If you haven't purchased it yet, buy a DAS unit and not a SAN unit as that is all you need. 

If I misunderstood and you are asking if it can work pulgged into a slower than 10G fabric, but still plugged into a switch, then the answer is Yes it can work.

One other comment...  The way this StoreVirtual is designed, you CAN technically purchase one node, but you really really really should start off with at least two nodes or you lose about 98% of the reason you would ever want to purchase this SAN design.

PrasanthVA
Advisor

Yes i agree with you... this storage is designed to work as cluster...

Let me clarify my Question ...

I have :-   1GB network switch,  8GB San switch & servers with Network & San switch connectivity

I donot: have:-       10GB network switch..

My plan is to connect storage to FC switch  for data (between hosts & storage), while management can be over 1G switch.

Is this a working configuration? 

oikjn
Honored Contributor

management is all done "in-band"  there is no dedicated network for management of the SAN so if the only reason for the 1GB connection is for management you can just get rid of it.  If it isn't just for managment and its for access, then that will work fine as well.  The only drawback will be you could reach 100% utilization on those 1GB links which might limit your performance over those links, but for a single node I doubt that will really be an issue.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

It is not only the management that is done on the 1Gb link, also the Network RAID replication of data...

FC connections is only for host connectivity... So the 1Gb link could be a serious bottleneck if there is quite some trafic on the SAN as well...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

I want to summarize what @Bart_Heungens and @oikjn have said and ask again a question you didn't answer:

1. I would never recommended using a single node StoreVirtual (whether iSCSI, VSA, or FC).  Sounds like you understand that but you didn't indicate whether or not you will be using more than one node.
  2. If  you decide to proceed with a single node, they you don't need 1GbE for Network RAID. 
  3. I sure hope you are doing at least 2 nodes - and if you are, you'll need the 1GbE for Network RAID

I don't have any personall experience with the StoreVirtual FC - the part I'm not certain about is if you need the 1GbE for management.  Oikjn seems to say you don't need it, Bart says you do.  If you are looking at a single node StoreVirtual, I can try to get the answer clarified to that question.

Let me know

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

You cannot manage your StoreVirtual nodes through the FC connection... CMC management console needs some kind of IP connectivity so you will need the 1Gb link connected and configured... Also the ILO connection in every appliance is not an option...

The 10Gb option is not needed in this case since it is a single node cluster and so there is no replication to others... 1Gb is enough at that moment...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Thanks for confirming. Makes sense - tough to connect to IP management via FC.
PrasanthVA
Advisor

oikjn,Bart & Calvin,

Thank you for your advises.  Hope these will help me  to proceed with instllation.

i Agreed with below points.

1. I would never recommended using a single node StoreVirtual (whether iSCSI, VSA, or FC).  Sounds like you understand that but you didn't indicate whether or not you will be using more than one node.
  2. If  you decide to proceed with a single node, they you don't need 1GbE for Network RAID. 
  3. I sure hope you are doing at least 2 nodes - and if you are, you'll need the 1GbE for Network RAID

But unfortunately, This is for a new project  which have only one storage node  at each siter (PR & DR).  So total of two storage nodes with async replication & i am waiting for implementation to start.

:)

HPstorageTom
HPE Pro

You need to have at least two StoreVirtual FC nodes in order to be able to activate FC host connectivity.  Running a single FC node for FC host connectivity is only possible in a failure scenario were a two-node 4730FC or 4330FC cluster has one node down.