StoreVirtual Storage
1753326 Members
4927 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VMware and Application aware snap-shots - how do they work, and how are they configured?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

VMware and Application aware snap-shots - how do they work, and how are they configured?

What are the parts of this solution?

Some P4000 component communicates to some vmware component using an API such that when a p4000 snapshot is created, a call is first made to vmware so that a vmware snapshot of any vms running on that datastore/LUN will be created - and THEN the p4000 snapshot is made -

that way, the application data in the snapshot will be quiesced and not just "crash consistent".

Correct?

But - what pieces of code carry out this work, and what configuration has to be done to make it work?

I am aware of the checkmark in the CMC  that says a snapshot should be "application aware" - but, does the CMC have to have any additional code installed in order to talk with vmware? What does the CMC communicate wtih - vCenter I suppose> Where do we configure the vcenter ip address and authentication information?

Are there any other pieces to this solution? Is there a plug in for vcenter - or does this just use the CMC by itself?  Must the CMC be running on the vcenter box? Is a vMA appliance required? How does “the check box” communicate with (and with which part of) vmware? What configuration information do we have to provide, and where?

Also - When snapshot/replication completes (in the case of SRM) is the SRA aware of the virtual machine snap-shots that have been replicated, and so it deletes the snapshots at the protected site? Or does the administrator have to remember to do that?

thnx!

I've been looking for documentation about all of this - but I guess the google powers in me are weak. And I've been asking an HP presales guy and all he can say is "you check the box in the cmc and it just uses the API in the background - don't think about it".

lol

Whatever - any clues or links to config and tech info are appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
aaron martin
Occasional Advisor

Re: VMware and Application aware snap-shots - how do they work, and how are they configured?

HP, Please help on this issue.

My google powers are obviously lacking as well on this issue.

Beyond installing the Application aware snapshot manager on the Virtual Center Server and enabling iSCSI on that server, and allowing that server to access all volumes, I dont know what more to do.

When I click the check box and hit finish I get an error saying I cant do it.

HP Please help!!!!

Thanks

Aaron

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

Ahh Aaron -

where did you learn of this "Application aware snapshot manager" and that it needed to be installe on the Virtual Center Server, and that the vcenter server has to have iSCSI enabled??

I searched for a doc to explain what is needed, but could not find one!

aaron martin
Occasional Advisor

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03037557.pdf

The guide doesnt go far enough however and I am still stuck.

Aaron

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

thank you - I just found this doc myself today also. This was not available when I last looked -

However, going through this document I don't see where it requires having iSCSI configured on the vcenter/snapshot manager server - did you find this requirement in a different document?

aaron martin
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Okay I just figured it out....

you dont need the iscsi initator on the virtual center server, nor does the virtual center server need to connect to the volumes.

1. Go to 'Servers' in your CMC cluster and right click on the esx server and go to edit server.

2. Where it says 'Controlling Server IP Address' put in the Virtual Center IP Address.

3. Found the tip below in the forum and then it worked.

When you install the HP Application Aware Snap Mgr software on your vcenter server it installs a service called "Pegasus CIM Object Manager..". If you change the user this runs as to a local administrator (not local system)  then the problem is resolved. Least it resolved the issue for me. (use the domain admin and it worked for me.)

Aaron

aaron martin
Occasional Advisor

Just a heads up, got off the phone with HP Support L2 and L3. Broadcom HBA's are not supported with Application Aware Snapshots.

Something to do with Broadcom's iteration of iSCSI.

Aaron

Tedh256
Frequent Advisor

Aaron

can you give a little more background? Are you saying that Broadcom nics that have the hardware assisted iSCSI capability are not supported - these nics come with HP servers and can be configured to offer iSCSI offload in ESXi?

Or - is there a full-hardware iSCSI HBA that Broadcom makes, that is not supported?