New Discussion

Re: 802.1x on IMC UAM

SOLVED
Go to solution
battagfe
Advisor

802.1x on IMC UAM

Two questions:

1) Is possible to configure simple 802.1x without use of certificate?

2) Is possible to configure simple 802.1x (no certificate) without iNode? Use iNode would force users to install the tool on client PC and many customers don't want it.

Anyone confirm this two point?

FB

6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

1/ The whole point of 802.1x is to have secure auth. You should be using a cert on the radius server (can be self-signed or generated by the internal CA) for the secure 802.1x auth options.

IMC UAM would also support EAP-MD5 (which does not require cert on UAM), but this is not recommended (and e.g. Microsoft supplicant does not even support this, which is a good thing).

2/ Once you get over the fact you need the cert, UAM support EAP-PEAP-MSchapv2 or EAP-TLS (client cert based). For the EAP-PEAP-MSchapv2 method, the built-in Microsoft supplicant can be used for the authentication.

Best regards,Peter.

battagfe
Advisor

Peter, thank you very much!
I know that the use of the certificate is more suitable but I was willing to work, initially, a 802.1x authentication mechanism in the simplest way.
I'll try both ways in the hope of not encounter difficulties.

So as I understand EAP-TLS would force me to use iNode?
Well, then I'll try to choose EAP-PEAP.

Thanks a lot for the solution.

FB

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

EAP-TLS means you need a certificate on the client side. This is independent of the client suplicant (windows or iNode), so a lot of companies find managing the client certificates too complex and do not consider the EAP-TLS method.

So if you want to use EAP-TLS with UAM, the windows suplicant can be used as well,

Best regards,Peter.

battagfe
Advisor

Tnx.

Well, I try to configure 802.1x with IMC and wireless MSM.

I have:

1) on IMC: configured access device (access controller MSM760)

2) on IMC: created a service (called wir_serv) with Certificate Authentication: None (is correct this?!?)

3) on IMC: created a user with access service wir_serv

4) on MSM: created a SSID with 802.1x WPA2 and remote RADIUS Authentication

but when i try to connect with user, on log management, i can view the log of authentication tentative.

the result is: E63001::Process failed

what mean "E63001::Process failed".

is always NOT possible configure a 802.1x with MSM without use of certificate?!?

FB

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Which client supplicant are you using ?

* Since you have not installed a cert on the UAM server, it means you will be using MD5 (not recommended !), which is even not supported e.g. the default Windows supplicant.
 So if you really want this unsecure method, you need to install 3th party supplicant software (opensource or iNode client).

* For proper testing, install a cert (any will do, can be selfsigned) on the UAM server first, next you can use the PEAP-MSCHAPv2 method to login with username+password.

Best regards,Peter

battagfe
Advisor

Hi Peter,
at the end I managed to run 802.1x with IMC and a MSM controller.
It was hard, very hard. 
Yes, the problem was that I had not imported the certificate on IMC... the most obvious thing.
Now all work correctly and the client authenticates only with username and password (I used PEAP and TLS).
Finally! 
Thank you very much for your answers! You've been very helpful... Thank you.

FB