108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Change/Add backup script?

SOLVED
Go to solution
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Change/Add backup script?

I have a discontinued device - HP Threat Management Services zl Module (J9155A) - that IMC does not seem to recognize properly for backup - I've tried all the options.

Using the module cli, I have a command string that will backup to IMC using tftp or ftp. But don't see any place to make that change using the IMC gui.

As the command can specify the filename it would be ideal to have IMC supply one that include date/time to collect history.

Any knowledge on how to fix this?

thanks

24 REPLIES 24
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: Change/Add backup script?

Yes, you can add scripts to extend IMC to backup additional devices. It's not that difficult, but it does take a little while to get your head around it.

It's not via the GUI though. Backup scripts are done via the CLI - specifically in <IMC>/server/conf/adapters/ICC.

It's documented in the admin guide. I've also written a few blogs on some of the troubleshooting aspects, etc.

If the device has a simplish CLI that looks something like Cisco or HP, it's usually pretty easy to add a new adapter. Often you can just copy an existing one, or update the adapter-index.xml files to tell IMC to use one of the existing adapters for your new device.

You can define the supported methods (CLI, TFTP, FTP, SCP, SFTP or some combination thereof), and the required commands. IMC provides variables for storing the backup files, and will handle revision control for them.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks - I had skimmed over that section, but not fully connected w it.

In my case the device (TMS) is listed, but the backup capability is not functioing properly. I'm assuimng I can find the files and fix them.

But I need toget HP to modify the source files, as I assume each update will overwrite my fix until they do.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Could you clarify what you mean by "the device (TMS) is listed" ? Do you mean - it is correctly identified within the UI, or that there is a backup adapter configured for it.

Just because they've added a definition to Settings -> Device Model, doesn't mean that they have a supported backup adapter.

What's the sysOID for that object? If it is in one of the adapter-index.xml files, but not working, then yes, you should get in touch with support, and get it fixed. If they don't support it, you will need to manually create/edit the adapters to get it working. Unfortunately there is a risk of those being over-written on update, so you will need to make a note of what you've done, and re-do it post-update. Unfortunately there's no good automated system within IMC for identifying/carrying forward those particular changes.

Sometimes what you'll find is that you'll add a fix for something, and then a future release will add it to the mainstream code. Can't guarantee it, but obviously that's the best result!

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

I meant that the device is shown under System > Device Model. But I did not find a specifc adapter folder for the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50.17

So I copied one of the procurve folders, renamed everything to match and edited the script files to adjust the commands. Added the OID to the adapters index.

Its fairly logical and the docs help somewhat. The existing stuff is close, but not the same. So I'd guess that someone figured Procurve generic would work.

But I'm not sure if I've got the modified files recognized by the system. I've restarted IMC as stated, but still get errors. There must be a log of the output somewhere.

Learned the lesson on updates with my panel fixes - KEEP copies of everything you fix to re-apply later is key.

thx for the pointers so far

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I'm a bit surprised that your OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50.17, since it looks like 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50 is a Procurve switch of some sort (based upon the contents of the Hewlett-Packard\adapter-index.xml file on 7.1E0303P10

A few things:

* What error messages are you getting?

* In the IMC GUI, what vendor is listed for that device? Does that match the vendor folder name?

* Can you attach a copy of the adapter folder you're using + the adapter-index.xml file?

* Check the imccfgbakdm log file under <IMC>/server/conf/log/ - that may tell you more about what's going on.

* After re-starting IMC, did you re-synchronise the device? 

If you look at the IMC database, does it have an adapter defined for that device? Here's what it looks like for a sample device - I've looked up the device ID, then I've looked up the adapter in use for that device:

mysql> use config_db;
Database changed
mysql> select dev_id,dev_ip from tbl_dev where dev_ip = '192.168.1.1';
+--------+-------------+
| dev_id | dev_ip      |
+--------+-------------+
|     13 | 192.168.1.1 |
+--------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from tbl_dev_adapter where dev_id=13;
+----------------+--------+-------------+-----------------------------+-----------------+--------------+------------+
| component_name | dev_id | vendor_name | sysoid                      | adapter_name    | adapter_type | error_code |
+----------------+--------+-------------+-----------------------------+-----------------+--------------+------------+
| Custom         |     13 | D-Link      | 1.3.6.1.4.1.171.10.137.3.1  | N/A             |            0 |         18 |
| Custom         |     13 | D-Link      | 1.3.6.1.4.1.171.10.137.3.1  | N/A             |            1 |         18 |
| ICC            |     13 | D-Link      | 1.3.6.1.4.1.171.10.137.3.1  | DlinkGeneric    |            0 |          0 |
| ICC            |     13 | D-Link      | 1.3.6.1.4.1.171.10.137.3.1  | N/A             |            1 |         44 |
| netresdm       |     13 | D-Link      | 1.3.6.1.4.1.171.10.137.3.1  | N/A             |            0 |         18 |
| netresdm       |     13 | D-Link      | 1.3.6.1.4.1.171.10.137.3.1  | N/A             |            1 |         18 |
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

It is a firewall/router running on a 1-services zl Module, and it uses mostly procurve switch syntax, but not all commands. It has been discontinued so no further FW updates to come.  Won't be deploying any new image, but might have to reload the config.

I had missed a file rename, so now it did compile and ran. I have a scripting challenge, in that the startup config can be copied by tftp, but the running config can only be copied by CLI - the script wants to do one or the other based on capability setting. Still working on it. The startup looks like a binary.

Here's the query output. FOund the log file.

component_name,dev_id,vendor_name,sysoid,adapter_name,adapter_type,error_code
Custom,9,"Hewlett Packard",1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50.17,N/A,0,18
Custom,9,"Hewlett Packard",1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50.17,N/A,1,18
ICC,9,"Hewlett Packard",1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50.17,HPProcurveTMS,0,0
ICC,9,"Hewlett Packard",1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.50.17,N/A,1,43

More to come - thanks for the additioanl insights.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ah, that's good to see that it's picked up the right adapter. Once you've got that step, it's mostly just a matter of fiddling around with the TCL files, and reading logs. At least when you update those you don't need to restart.

I'm pretty sure you can have different capabilities for running + startup backups. It will step through each of the commands defined, until one succeeds. In your case, you'll want to set the file transfer type to TFTP.

You'll end up with a HPProcurveTSM_Config_Backup_Builder.xml file that looks something like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<definition>

<action name="backup_running_config">
	    <step>    
    		<command name="backup_running_config_cli" description="Backup running configuration via CLI">
    			<result name="running_configuration">
    				<parser parserName="CleanupParser" parserRet="configuration" parserScript="cleanupConfiguration"/>
    			</result>
    		</command>   	
		</step>
	</action>

<action name="backup_startup_config">
	    <step>	
	    	<command name="backup_startup_config_tftp" description="Backup startup configuration via tftp">    			
    		</command>  
 		</step>
	</action>

</definition>

Worst case, you can just ONLY do a running config backup, or ONLY a startup config. Some devices only have one or the other.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, exactly what I ended up with. Now have both running & startup captured successfully - my last device that was not being backed up! Don't know if I'll be able to test the restore any time soon though.

Good to know about the tcl files - was restarting for every change, but that explains the multi layer abstractions.

Thanks again for the insights. Those basic tips and the docs made it easy enough to modify one of the existing adapters, but would have been hard pressed to start one from scratch.

And I've made a backup copy of the modified files for the next update.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Great to hear that it's working!

I agree about it being difficult to build an adapter from scratch. I've done quite a few over the years, and pretty much every one has been based upon taking an existing adapter, and massaging it a bit.