1752790 Members
6131 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Discover when a Switch was pluged into the network.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thycondrius
Occasional Contributor

Discover when a Switch was pluged into the network.

Hello!

I would like to know if theres anyway for us to determine when exactly a switch was plugged into our network.

One way I I'm using is looking at the Unreachability history, since it starts at the point we presume the switch was pluged into IMC, but is there a correct or easier way:?

3 REPLIES 3
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: Discover when a Switch was pluged into the network.

Depends how far back it goes, but maybe you could look for the discovery logs?

Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor
Solution

Take a look at Resource--> Terminal Access--> History Access Log.  Set to periodically retrieve data.  The history access log will log every device that's plugged into infrastructure managed by IMC  (the device connecting doesn't need to be managed).  That log has an associated report (User Tracking Report) with the same information.

Not positive on it's impact in a large environment, it does try to resolve hostnames for the devices connecting.

If it's a managed switch that is being plugged in then you can search the alarms, if the upstream ports interface up/down alarm is not filtered you should get an interface xx Up during device poll (1.3.6.1.4.1.25506.4.1.1.2.6.9) trap/alarm in IMC.  Should be some other alarms (device does not respond to ping packets should recover) that may clue you in to the time it was connected.

Hope it helps,
PL

Thycondrius
Occasional Contributor

You guys helped a lot, thanks!