5012 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IMC - Deploy task on Procurve switch

Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

IMC - Deploy task on Procurve switch

hi all,

i have recently installed a new deployment of IMC v5.2, when I try to deploy a new task to change the configuration, the imc return to me with a error message (the device does not support the features).

I have tried with 5400zl and also with 2910...the "test" task is very simple, a creation of a new vlan, just to test this feature.

can you help me find where I'm wrong?

p.s. i'm currently able to backup correctly the configuration from IMC and if I try via CLI the task it work without problem. the switch choose to test are select in the men├╣ "applicated device"

thank's in advance

Mauro

12 REPLIES 12
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

How are you doing your task - as a Configuration Segment, or a CLI Script? Try running it as a CLI script.
Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

i'm try as configuration segment, thanks for the suggestion, i will try as cli script asap
Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

I have just tried as a CLI script and finally it works correctly.

But the advantage of the segment is if I have a lot of row of configuration. As a CLI script I single cut&paste every single row and add it manually, with the segment it's a little bit more smart to copy&paste the entire configuration I want to upload.

Anyone has successfully used the segment method to upload a configuration?

thanks in advance

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

You shouldn't have to add every row, if it's not changing. A CLI script should only need to include the lines that you're changing - same as if you typed it in via SSH.

Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

You're right, If I have only 3-4 rows is not a problem use the CLI script, but I mean, for example, if I want to upload 10-15 rows of new snmp configuration...

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Two things that can help:
* Use Advanced Mode
* Use variables, so you can re-use the script.

(Yes, I know config segments should really work)
Mauro Furini
Frequent Advisor

Here the reply of the HP support:

"

Further to my email from yesterday, I had another conversation with our PLM and they have confirmed that Segment configuration deployment from iMC to HP Procurve switches will not be supported due to HP Procurve agent limitation. This is as discussed during our call an email exchanged.

That said the only option is to use iMC CLI mode which I understand is not as straight forward as using Segment Configuration but provide a good alternative to achieve the same goals.

So unfortunately from our side there is nothing we can do to get the Segment configuration supported for the HP Procurve switches and suggest instead that we focus on how to use iMC CLI mode."

Bye

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Thinking a bit more about this, I'm wondering if it's to do with the way Procurve switches implement their config management.

With Cisco devices, I can run something like this:
"copy tftp://X.X.X.X/newcfgsegment.cfg running-config", and it will _merge_ that configuration with the existing running config.

But I'm not sure if that's supported with Procurve. I see they offer the ability to copy a remote config to the local startup-config, but I'm not sure if it can copy a partial segment.

Might work with "copy tftp command-file" - that might do the trick. Would need to write an adapter that uses that command. Wouldn't work for systems that use SCP/SFTP though.

Cisco supports running "scp <cfg> user@device:running-config", but I'm not sure if that's supported with Procurve.
MarcisB
Occasional Advisor

Lindsay i believe Procurve can do SCP - at least i can confirm that config file backup to iMC using SCP works.
To enable this you should do "ip ssh filetransfer" command from CLI. This enables SCP and shuts down TFTP client in switch - "no tftp client" and "no tftp server" lines are added to the config file.