New Discussion

IMC V5.2 Dual Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
larrymac
Frequent Advisor

IMC V5.2 Dual Server

Hi

We have recently upgraded from a single server IMC V5.0 to dual server IMC V5.2.  Server 1 is used for IMC V5.2 platform and Server 2 is used for SQL DB.

It seems very slow when navigating around IMC.  Also links are slow to refresh in maps and alarms take an age to clear.

Has anybody had experience with DB on a seperate server.  Is there any tweaks I can make to speed up IMC user experience?

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: IMC V5.2 Dual Server

I've deployed IMC with the DB on a separate server in multiple locations. Generally it's better performance with the DB separated.

I did notice some increases in required memory when moving through different versions. How much memory do you have allocated to IMC? Remember that just giving the VM more memory is not enough - you need to use setmem.bat to configure Java to use the extra memory.
larrymac
Frequent Advisor

I have 48GB installed to IMC Platform Server and 12GB installed to SQL DB Server.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

What have you set the max heap size to, and how many nodes are you managing?
larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Managing around 1500 nodes.  I have not set max heap size to anything.  Where is this config? The IMC or SQL.

Thanks

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Max heap size is a Java application parameter. This is on the IMC server, not the database.

If you've not set the Max Heap size, it's probably still the default at 2GB. If you look at memory consumption on your IMC server, it's probably only using ~5GB out of that 48GB. The max heap size sets an upper limit on the amount of memory that Java will allocate. Simply adding more memory to the system won't make it use more memory - you have to change the configuration to tell it to use more.

The Admin Guide provides some guidance on heap sizes, but if you've got that much memory, you might as well use a good chunk of it. I think they're a little low on their recommendations anyway. Since you've got so much, you might as well go straight to 16GB. Would probably be fine with 8GB.

The Getting Started guide has a section on using "setmem.bat" to set the heap size. The heap recommendations in the Getting Started guide are far too low.
larrymac
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Thanks for replying so quickly.  I looked up the deployment guide and found a bit of info on heap size.  Will have a look tomorrow and hopefully that will do the trick......

larrymac
Frequent Advisor

Thanks northlandboy.