108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Port description and port name

SOLVED
Go to solution
gjames-smu
Advisor

Port description and port name

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did search online and this site.

ICM names all of the ports it finds using the description such as A1 or H8. How can I get it to use the port name I gave the port such as Internet or Server?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

IMC uses either port index number, port H/w name or port interface alias in different screens. Not all screens may have more than one, but sometimes two or all three.

You have configured snmp correctly?

If yes you should the port name assigned on the switch in the Resource > Device View > devicename > interface list, you would see the interface description (h/w) address and interface alias (name you assigned)

But in the Port Group screen you would only see the interface description (h/w) as the alias column is not included.

Not all screens have the alias unfortunately. Which screens were you refering to?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

On the System Settings page, you can select "Interface Description" or "Interface Alias" from the "Interface Info Display" list.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

yeah - sorry forgot to inlcude that one. But its not universal.

I have it set for alias, and not every screen will obey that setting.

gjames-smu
Advisor

Thank You 

That did cange the name to what I wanted on the screens I was looing at.

Mainly the important ports widget on my home screen.

Now if I can figure out how to display graphs of multiple ports simultaneously on the home screen.

I rememvber seeing a choice to group ports by snmp connectivity. So I would think that would include all of my switch interconnected ports.

As a feature request; It would be great if I could pick and choose lldp, cdp,  snmp information, sflow or rmon information on a single widget for each port I was interested in. You could have a graph on the left side of the widget and a numerical table of the live data you choose on the right side. When you clicked on a data set on the right the graph on the left would change to reflect the information you clicked. Sflow would reflect top takers, conversations, protocols etc. 

Thanks again.