New Discussion юеВ

Re: Telnet\SSH problems when deploying software upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Turay
Advisor

Telnet\SSH problems when deploying software upgrade

Hi All,

I just installed IMC 7.2 and this is my first intro to it.

So I have discovered all my switches on the network but when I try to do a тАЬlatest configuration backupтАЭ I get the following error: Failed to telnet to the device or when I try to deploy a firmware upgrade I get the following error Failed to login device by Telnet. I also get the following errors when I try SSH. When I try Telnet/SSH proxy everything works just fine.  Also, Telnet\SSH are working fine on all the switches since this what we use on a daily basis.  Any ideas??

5 REPLIES 5
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Using the proxy is a good test that IMC has access (no ACLs, etc).

So it's probably username/password related. Check the username/password configured in IMC for that device - the Telnet/SSH parameters, and the Login Type.

Also, what devices are these, and what is the file transfer type set to?

Tim Turay
Advisor

Hi Lindsay,

ItтАЩs not a bad password, I copied and pasted it so I could see what I was typing. That is under system-resource management-access parameter template, correct?

Login type, I have tried both Telnet and SSH. Funny though, when the login type is set to SSH, the error is тАЬFailed to login device by Telnet.тАЭ  At least when I set the login type to none it errors with "Cannot connect to device, Login Type in Device Details is set to none.тАЭ

The devices are HP switches, 2530 and 2520.

File transfer type is set to TFTP.

Tim Turay
Advisor

Hi Lindsay,

I just figured out the problem but since it's the end of the day, I will post my solution on Monday.  Thanks for you help.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Hi Tim

You can set a username/password at initial discovery (and that can use templates), but after that you can modify any device, and it will use its own settings. Note that Telnet authentication is different to SSH authentication. So if you were to discover the device, configure Telnet username + password, and then change the Login Type to SSH, it wouldn't understand, because it doesn't have any SSH authentication settings.

Look for "Modify Telnet settings" and "Modify SSH settings" on the Device Details page. Make sure that they're filled in. You can select a template, or manually type them in here. I would suggest manually typing them in.

Make sure that you've got the right combination of settings for username, password, enable password, etc (some devices need enable passwords, some don't).

Those are supported devices, so I'm pretty sure it's something simple. Otherwise we can start looking at the imccfgbakdm logfiles. They'll give us a bit more detail about what's going on, but they can also be a bit overwhelming. Better to start with the most obvious checks first.

Tim Turay
Advisor
Solution

So to fix the issue I had I needed to go into

Resource -> Batch Operation -> Change the SNMP Settings for all the devices

Once I did this everything worked.

Cheers.