5480 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Use IMC (or PCM+) to enable jumbo frames in some VLANs

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Use IMC (or PCM+) to enable jumbo frames in some VLANs

Hi.

I have 4 VLANs where I want to enable jumbo frames. We have around 200 switches (Procurve), and not all VLANs exist on all switches.

Has anyone managed to use IMC (or PCM+) to enable jumbo frames in some VLANs for only the switches where the VLANs already exist?

3 REPLIES 3
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: Use IMC (or PCM+) to enable jumbo frames in some VLANs

So, there's a couple of ways I can think of to do it.

One would be to use IMC, and go to VLAN Management -> Global VLAN.

Find your VLAN, and then find the list of devices that have that particular VLAN. 

Then create a config task that makes the changes you need. Run that task against that list of devices you discovered earlier.

It is also possible to use IMC to only take actions if specific conditions are met. You can create a Configuration Template than runs actions, looks at the response, and can then change its next step. So in theory you could do something that checks for the existence of a specific VLAN, then only runs the jumbo frames commands if needed.

I've never quite figured out the syntax for it though...

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Hi and thanks for your answer. Your first solution will do the trick, but I cannot find a way of doing this without making a manual list of the 50+ switches that contain the VLANs I need to change and then selecting them later for the config task. There is no possibility of creating custom groups in IMC based on criteria such as VLAN membership?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

IMC doesn't have particularly good capabilities around dynamic group membership. NNMi has some pretty interesting options, although  I don't know off the top of my head if you can do a group based upon VLAN membership.

You could use the iMC API to script finding the switch names, and adding them to a group.