3825 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: changing the configuration backup script

Tim Turay
Advisor

changing the configuration backup script

Hi All,

I'm trying to do a configuration backup on a Juniper Firewall and the script is failing.  On closer examination I can see where the script is failing and I need to edit it.  How do I go about editing the script?

Thanks,

Tim

19 REPLIES 19
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Pretty straightforward.

1.  Open file in your editor of your choice
  2. Make changes
  3. Save file.
  4. Re-run backup

That's about it. If you're changing a .tcl or a .pl file, you don't need to restart IMC, as those files get read every time they run. If you're changing an XML file, you'll need to restart IMC.

The only wrinkle is dealing with IMC updates. Future updates will over-write your changes. With a bit of luck, HP will include your fix in a future change. This is MUCH more likely if you log a support case explaining the problem, and include your suggested fix.

Otherwise, be prepared to make the same changes every time you update IMC.

Tim Turay
Advisor

Hi Lindsay,

Sounds easy enough.  Where is the file stored?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I thought from reading above that you'd already identified the file you needed to change.

Adapter files are under <IMC>/server/conf/adapters/ICC/<vendor name>/<adapter name>

Tim Turay
Advisor

Hi Lindsay,

That worked great.  Now the only problem is by changing this it affected the other firewall backups.  Is it possible for a backup to use a different script?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Adapters are used on a per-model basis, not a per-device basis. If there's something really specific you need to do for one single device, you could probably do something ugly inside the script to identify that specific device. 

But it might be better to look at what you're trying to do. What's the issue that you're having with that one device, and what changes did you make to work around it? And why does that break other backups? We might be able to come up with a better way of solving the problem.

Tim Turay
Advisor

Our setup is our main site (where the IMC server is) and four remote sites. When I use IMC to do a backup of the firewalls, the remote sites fail and the main site firewall is a success. I edited the backup script changing the TFTP server to an IP address redirect on our main FW (where the IMC server is) and the remote sites work but the local FW fails to backup now. What would you recommend in this situation?  Thanks for your help on this.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Number one thing: Stop using TFTP. Seriously. Don't do it. Especially for firewall configs.

Your problem is the direction of traffic flows. IMC can back up a device using these methods:

1. TFTP the backup file *from* the device *to* the server
  2. FTP the backup file *from* the device *to* the server
  3. Use SCP to *pull* the file back to IMC from the device. Note that IMC *initiates* that connection
  4. Use SFTP (same process as #3, but using SFTP)
  5. Use CLI, where IMC connects to device via either SSH or Telnet, and runs "show run" or equivalent, and captures the output. CLI is the fall-back option.

Different backup adapters use different methods, as obviously it depends on the device. Some adapters have multiple methods they can try. They'll go through those in order until they get one that works. The other relevant item is the file transfer method. You can set that on a global default basis (default TFTP), and you can over-ride it per-device.

You saw the TFTP Server IP Variable in those scripts. By default, IMC will put its own IP in there. If you use NAT between IMC and the device being backed up, you need to put the NAT IP. The 'right' way to do this is in <IMC>/server/conf/qvdm.conf. You set server_nat_ip in there. 

So then when IMC goes to back up a device using TFTP, it will tell the device to send the backup to that NAT IP, not the real IP.

However...that's a global setting. So you'd have the same problem as what you've seen where you changed the adapter.

The *much* better fix is to get IMC to use either SCP or CLI to backup the device. That way IMC makes an outbound connection to the device, and NAT won't be a problem for you. I'm assuming you're using the JuniperGeneric adapter. It looks like that has some code for SCP backup, but it is commented out. I don't know why. So you'll want it to use the CLI adapter. One way to force that is to change the file transfer mode for that device to use SCP. Then when the backup runs, it will look for an SCP adapter, see that it doesn't have one, then it will switch to CLI.

(Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully it explains a bit about what's going on)

Tim Turay
Advisor

More info the better!!  Thanks, I will give this a try in the next day or so.

racowi
Frequent Advisor

I'm in a very similar situation. I have 2 devices that need NAT IP address in order to make a successful backup. But I tried the things you suggested, but the SCP is not working for me, and when it try to use CLI, it also fail.

The device is a Cisco, and if I use the nat address is work, but not with the IMC IP.
Thanks