IT Asset Manager / Connect-IT Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Assign Null Value

Occasional Advisor

Assign Null Value

I have a database->database connector and one of the target fields in a mapping requires to be set to NULL by the mapping. If I put in the mapping script the code "RetVal=NULL", there is a funny effect that this field is set to NULL but all following fields in the mapping which were filled not directly by a 1:1 source field mapping but also using a mapping script are now empty, too. If the first field is not filled using RetVal=NULL, the following fields are filled correctly (also when using a mapping script)

Is there a documented and recommended way to set a target field to NULL?

(Connect IT 9.51)

6 REPLIES
HPE Expert

Re: Assign Null Value

Hello Thomas, 

Depends on where you have set the script to give a null value.  ?? COuld you send us snapshots for the same ?

HP Support - If this post or any post helps you resolve an issue, please be sure to mark it as an acceptable solution.
Like a post, Please click Kudos to show appreciation !
Occasional Advisor

Please see attachment...

Highlighted
HPE Expert

Hello Thomas, 

Check the Programmers REf guide. 

You could use the  Function PifSetNullVal(strPath As String) As Long    Description. This function enables you to populate a node in the target document with the value 'NULL'. If the node does not exist, the function will create it.Input parameters

• strPath: This parameter contains the full name of the node concerned by the operation. If this parameter is omitted or empty, the current node is selected. 

HP Support - If this post or any post helps you resolve an issue, please be sure to mark it as an acceptable solution.
Occasional Advisor

If I use this function, then the field (type double) is filled with 0 (zero), not with the NULL value.

HPE Expert

Thomas, 

Could  you send me a snapshot of what you implemented? 

HPE Expert

You could try using:
RetVal = Chr(0)

in the mapping. 0 is the null character, so this should set that successfully.

Jason Dowd
HPE Software Support

If this post has helped you resolve the issue, please flag it as solved.