IT Service Management
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Meet Chuck

HPITSM ‎11-27-2012 12:14 PM - edited ‎09-25-2015 09:53 PM

Chuck Darst is a Product Marketing Manager guru here at HP, but who is the man behind the software? We asked, he answered.

What is your current position at HP?

I manage the ITSM product marketing team which covers HP Service Manager, HP Service Anywhere, HP Asset Manager, and related products and solutions such as Change & Configuration.

What school did you attend and what did you study?

A common thread in school was that I liked math, which influenced me getting a BSEE from Colorado State University (with a Math minor!) and an MSCS from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.

What inspired you to choose a career in the IT industry?

After school, I started out doing networking related “stuff” in the telecommunications industry. I then started doing telecom network and management system “stuff” at HP. This included working on some of the original HP OpenView network management releases. During this time, I would occasionally dabble in security, which is how I ended up working on ITSM. In the Sarbanes-Oxley compliance heydays, a clear association between ITIL, CobiT and other related frameworks/specifications emerged for providing a means to effective process controls. This is largely how I ended up working in and around ITSM.

What is your personal outlook on ITSM?

I expect more change and more merging of traditional different disciplines. Arguably, the whole industry had somewhat stagnated as the glow wore off of the launch of ITIL v3. But clearly, there are a number of foundational changes underway, especially with respect to approaches and philosophies. Some of my colleagues say it’s déjà vu.

Which is your favorite HP product and why?

HP Service Anywhere (of course). Why?  In life and in art, I appreciate simplicity—Service Anywhere offers a simpler approach. This is part of the déjà vu that I mentioned earlier.

What do you feel has been your most notable accomplishment at HP?

I can’t pick just one. I have always enjoyed launching new initiatives and found these notable. And over the course of my career, I have been fortunate to work on a number of new initiatives which now includes HP Service Anywhere—our new SaaS service desk.

What do you foresee the future holding for ITSM, and specifically, for HP Service Anywhere?

I see a handful of future trends:

• Keeping with simplification—more configuration, less customization
  • Pragmatic process maturity in the midterm—improving service quality driven by business requirements for more responsive and cost effective approaches
  • Less concern on how or where the actual service desk is deployed or located, more concern about capabilities; this could be SaaS or on-premise
  • More commonality across a management platform—again, regardless of how it’s sourced, deployed, or located

HP Service Anywhere embodies some of this today and will be central to the future.

What are some IT blogs that you read on a regular basis?

The HP ITSM Blog, definitely. I also try to keep up on a handful of LinkedIn groups. I follow some of the better-known ITSM bloggers, influencers and analysts on Twitter. If I see something interesting, I’ll go read more on that specific something.

What do you like to do when you’re not being HP’s Product Marketing Manager?

I like to hike, bike and downhill ski. And, I like a little bit of travel—sometimes to spend time on the ocean, other times to hike, bike or ski someplace different. 

Follow Chuck on Twitter for more insights into ITSM industry trends. And, add him on LinkedIn!

About the Author

Being number two in the ITSM install-based software industry, we feel it's our duty to enlighten and educate you about everything ITSM. We'll pose questions, analyze research and discuss the newest industry trends. Welcome!

Leave a Comment

We encourage you to share your comments on this post. Comments are moderated and will be reviewed
and posted as promptly as possible during regular business hours

To ensure your comment is published, be sure to follow the Community Guidelines.

Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
1-3 December 2015
Discover 2015 London
Discover 2015 in London, the ultimate showcase technology event for business and IT professionals to learn, connect, and grow.
Read more
November 2015
Software Online Expert Days
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts.
Read more