IT Service Management
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Service Manager 9.34: App Enhancements & Integrations Improve Usability, Scalability & Survey Mgmt

Yvonne_Bentley ‎08-01-2014 01:53 AM - edited ‎10-04-2015 09:40 PM

Feeling excited about the new features coming to Service Manager 9.34? That’s great, but new features aren’t the only improvements to get excited about. We have also significantly improved product usability, scalability, and survey management capabilites with the following enhancements!

1)    Text Import Wizard Enhancements

Prior to SM 9.34, using the Text Import Wizard to load pre-defined data, such as Service Catalog Items, into SM was slightly inconvenient. For example:

- As shown in the accompanying diagram, the sequence of fields in the Import Descriptor must be exactly the same as the sequence of columns in an external file.

- The Wizard only supports simple data types such as character, number, date and a Boolean operator. Complex data types, such as Array, are not supported.

- The Wizard can only perform simple updates through the use of RAD expressions. Computing based on data contained in the source file is not supported.

As of SM 9.34, we enhanced the Text Import Wizard to improve the import process significantly.

- As shown in the acompanying diagram, a mapping mechanism is provided to flexibly define relationships between Service Manager records and the records in one or more source files.

- More types of data (e.g., Array and Arrayed Structure) are supported. JavaScript Expression enables users to write JavaScript code to compute a result based on the data contained in source file before that result is inserted in the SM database.

Let’s take a glance of what the new Import Descriptor looks like. 

A sample JavaScript code to manipulate data before the result is inserted. 

Read more about how to use this capability in the following SM 9.34 help content topics:

System Administration > Database Administration > Data persistence > Importing records > Add an import descriptor record

System Administration > Database Administration > Data persistence > Importing records > Import a character-delimited text file

2) Multiple HP Operations Manager i (OMi) Servers Supported in Incident Exchange (OMi – SM) integration

Before SM 9.34, Incident Exchange (OMi - SM) integration was designed for one HP BSM OMi server to connect with one SM and was not able to handle the capacity generated by large customers who may have multiple BSM OMi servers.

Now Service Manager can accept incident creation requests from multiple OMi servers. It creates incident records and automatically assigns them to an existing group based on certain field values. Incident Management users can also view the details of the related OMi event coming from the specific OMi server by clicking, from the incident record, the “View OMi Event” menu option.

The steps to enable this capability are very straight forward.

a. Change OMi integration registry

b. Enter the settings for each OMi instance

c. Configure the parameter “” as part of each OMi instance setting

If you don’t have an immediate need to have multiple OMi servers, then you don’t have to modify your existing integration settings because it is completely backwards compatible.

Read more about this feature in the following SM 9.34 help content topic:

System Administration > Integrations > HP Business Service Management (BSM) > BSM Operations Manager i (OMi)

3) Integration Connector for a New Survey Provider – Medallia

Starting with SM 9.34, SM provides integration to a new 3rd party Survey Provider – Medallia.

- Medallia is a SaaS-based survey solution that is easy to integrate with SM for quicker time to value.

- With this functionality, Service Manager is able to send out surveys based on Service Desk interactions and other objects.

- Medallia is configurable to identify survey recipients based on their department, activity with system, time of day, and other options.

- Uses extracted data and survey results from Service Manager to produce powerful reports using the Medallia reporting engine.

- There is no charge for the integration component between Service Manager and the Medallia survey solution.

You won’t be required to re-learn how to configure the Medallia connector because the configuration steps are exactly same as they were for the previous survey integrations.

Once the connection is established, you can start using Medallia right away to create your survey! It’s as simple as that.

If you are running on SM version 9.32 or 9.33, you can still use this feature by installing the following content pack (available from the HP Live Network):

Read more about this enhancement in the following SM 9.34 help content topic:

System Administration > Integrations > Survey Integration

4) Requesting Non-cart Items in Employee Self-Service Portal

Previously Service Request Catalog users couldn’t access support type categories and items through the Employee Self-Service portal - only through Service Request Catalog.

As of SM 9.34, non-cart items and support items can be requested using the Employee Self-Service portal.

Thanks for allowing us to walk you through a few usability improvements that will make your work with HP Service Manager much more fun and productive.

Content contributor for this article is Lei Tang (Ray), HP SM R&D Current Product Engineering Manager

About the Author

A 25+ year veteran of HP, Yvonne is currently a Senior Product Manager of HP ITSM software including HP Service Anywhere and HP Service Manager. Over the years, Yvonne has had factory and field roles in several different HP businesses, including HP Software, HP Enterprise Services, HP Support, and HP Imaging and Printing Group. Yvonne has been masters certified in ITIL for over 10 years and was co-author of the original HP IT Service Management (ITSM) Reference Model and Primers.

Dávid Kara on ‎08-01-2014 02:47 AM

Well, for the text import gadget: it was about time. It realy makes a difference, kudos.

Actually the more OVO server solution was available before with some crafting. Nice to see that we don't need it anymore. On the other hand I think it should have been made that way right on start.

On the 3rd "invention", I must say I wasn't a fond of the HP servicecatalog module and thist slight improvement made no difference for me. Progress is always welcom, but if the whole concept is wrong, then I can't realy be amused.

Anyways, keep up the good work.

dkalian on ‎08-01-2014 07:10 AM

As we send out internal customer surveys after tickets are closed I will be definately looking at the Medallia integration.

Thanks for posting more useful info!

on ‎08-05-2014 09:18 AM

It just keeps getting better! Love the way the new import descriptor looks, no longer do I need all data in a set order to import into the tables!

The survey integration looks cool too. maybe ill push for that

honzah on ‎09-16-2014 06:00 AM

I'm glad for the first enhancement and now please something similar into SAW ;-)

Leave a Comment

We encourage you to share your comments on this post. Comments are moderated and will be reviewed
and posted as promptly as possible during regular business hours

To ensure your comment is published, be sure to follow the Community Guidelines.

Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
1-3 December 2015
Discover 2015 London
Discover 2015 in London, the ultimate showcase technology event for business and IT professionals to learn, connect, and grow.
Read more
November 2015
Software Online Expert Days
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts.
Read more