IT Service Management
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What else are you missing in HP Service Manager?

‎02-15-2013 10:15 PM - edited ‎10-04-2015 08:35 PM

Greetings everyone, Let’s uncover more golden nuggets of HP Service Manager by further exploring the classic 1980s movie The Princess Bride

images- princess bride movie poster.jpg

So now that we have introduced Vezzini and Inigo in the earlier blog on this topic: “Uncover what you might be missing in HP service Manager”. Today I want to look at the Man in Black (as portrayed by Cary Elwes). Do you know the question he asks Inigo and Fezzik when he first considers how to storm the castle to rescue his beloved Buttercup?  (Btw… I think this scene is one of the funniest in the film.  Well ok, except perhaps for the Miracle Max and Valerie bits.)

His question was simply “what are our assets?”   

The point is that Inigo, Fezzik, and Wesley (you do know that is his name right?) did not initially understand all the resources available to them. It was only after they identified all their assets that a viable plan of attack could be defined. With this in mind I want to provide you with a wheelbarrow, the holocaust cloak and few more interesting tools to help you define your ITSM plans. 

First up are two things that might help you with your Service Manger systems.  Are you aware of the Service Manager 9.30 Deployment Sizing guide? You can find it here (SSO login required). This document provides details on the necessary hardware elements such as the servers, databases, web tier components, Knowledge Management server and even Mobility elements. The other document to check out is the SM Web Services best practices guide (SSO login required).  This is an older document created for Service Manager 7.11 but it provides some foundational considerations that provide successful web services.

Additional insights for catalog administrators

Continuing with the implementation and configuration topic, let’s consider Service Request Catalog (SRC).  Many of you are implementing SRC today. Many implementers and customers I speak with have found the following document very helpful.  The SRC 1.4 Customization Guide (SSO login required here also).  has a wealth of insight into tailoring and customizations you can apply to SRC 1.4 to meet your user needs.  

For example, you may be wondering how you can create a new background for the user interface (UI) in order to match your portal themes.  You may also want to check the customization guide for ways to add buttons to SRC so that users can launch to other valuable web sites.

A view into your architecture

What about this situation?  Would it help if you had access to an architecture review where you can get HP research and development (R&D) to review your proposed infrastructure? In a recent Root Cause analysis conducted with the Customer Support and R&D teams, we determined that one of the top causes of server, client or performance issues was misconfiguration or insufficient resources on key technologies. For example, we have seen situations of low network bandwidth, servers running out of CPU resources, database servers under contention from external sources or web application servers starving for memory and many more.  

In response to these results we are committed to resolve these root causes before they affect your users. I am pleased to inform you that all customers on premier support and those of you currently working on upgrades can take advantage of this service.  This is especially valuable as you work through your upgrade plans. To take advantage of this service, simply let your premier support contact know and we will walk you through the process.

More from the  root cause analysis

Speaking of root cause analysis, how about something cool for analysing your production system?  Historically, if an issue occurred with your server you might need to restart the server to enable the tracing parameters in order to determine the source of the issue. Unfortunately in many cases the restart returned the system to normal operations but destroyed the information about the issue.  This sounds like a plot from a 1970 movie to me. 

Thankfully, this issue was flagged as critical by our colleagues in customer support based on your feedback.  The R&D team under the leadership of the “Dread Pirate Roberts” then figured out how to dynamically trigger the tracing without a restart.  And voilà, a super cool new feature is born. You can find the details on Dynamic Debuging and other exciting new features in the SM 9.31 release notes.

only mostly dead.jpg

One final topic area is related to….

Wesley:  Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a holocaust cloak.

Inigo:  There, we cannot help you

Fezzik: [produces the holocaust cloak] Will this do?

Inigo: Where did you get that?

Fezzik:  At Miracle Max’s.  It fit so nice he said I could keep it.

…. Upgrades.  Are you aware that there are special services and assistance we can provide if we know that you are working through the upgrade exercise? In addition to the architecture review above we can also help with:  

• Planning and design assistance
  • Accelerated issue triage
  • Wheelbarrows
  • Faster resolution delivery
  •  Easier resolution adoption

We understand that the upgrade activities can seem overwhelming. If you would like to explore your options and how we can help you be successful and efficient, or if you would like to get your upgrade architecture reviewed send an email to

So there you go.  Now you know more stuff in the “Tell me what I don’t know” series.

If you like what you see here you might also tune in for the upcoming Vivit session.  I am partnering with my friends and colleagues Chuck Darst and Jacques Conand to lead “Service Manager Strategy update, SM 9.3 Automation Integrations, and Service Anywhere v2 Quick Peek” webinar on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM EST. Register for the webinar here.

As always we look forward to working with you in the forum or other venues.  One special request from me though.  Please comment on this blog to let me know if it is helpful and to provide other topics you think your customer allies may not be aware of. 

Oh and btw Inigo told me a secret. He said “Let me ‘splain.  No, there is too much. Let me sum up. The next Service Anywhere release is right around the corner. Some very cool new features are headed our way.  Check out the Service Anywhere page for the ‘splaination”

Scott Knox

SR Product Manager -- Service Management Center