ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1753485 Members
4721 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unwanted source ip address in CMA traps.

G. D.

Unwanted source ip address in CMA traps.

On various multihomed RHEL 5.3 x86_64/psp 8.50 servers, snmp trap sended by hp snmp agents are sended with incorrect source ip address ('agent-addr' field). And this case, our HP SIM receive the traps but isn't able to properly assign it.

We followed this advisory : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01094386〈=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=428936&prodTypeId=15351

Adding a 'v1trapaddress' parameter in snmpd.conf, makes that the traps sent by the snmpd daemon (like 'Cold Start/Stop') are well-formatted. Not yet, traps sent by hp agents.
Then after uncommenting 'trapIf ...' in cma.conf, the traps from hp agents take the choosen ip address, except in some cases.

The trapif parameter seems ignored when on host, there are a simple ethernet interface with a ip address and cabled, and bonded interfaces, it's always the ip address of this non-bonded interface (eth8 in our cases) which is used.
When there are only bonded interfaces, agents choose the wished one.
When we brought down this non-bonded interface, without restarting the agents, traps take the appropiate source ip address.

No particular logs on system or in cma.log ...

Does anyone know a solution of this issue?

Thanks you in advance.
1 REPLY 1
Lou97
Occasional Advisor

Re: Unwanted source ip address in CMA traps.

I know that this is an old thread, but I also got this particular issue even with newer hardware, RHEL 5.6, and psp8.7.

It's only happening when you're configuring more than one IP address on a host and one of the interface on that IP address is a bonded interface. What happen is that the agent-addr field always contains the IP address of the non-bonded interface when performing snmp test alert via the SMH page -- and I need to send the SNMP package from the bonded interface ;(

There's no problem with the SNMP cold start package though.. that lead me to believe that the problem most likely lies on the HP SNMP agent package.

No problem as well when I'm using 2 non bonded interface or 2 bonded interface. So it's only happening when you have a mix of both.

I've also updated the trapIF on the cma.conf file with bond0, bond0:1, and bond0:2 and still doesn't fix the problem.

Really appreciate if somebody can shed some light here.

Cheers.