Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752546 Members
4867 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ILO default password

Wouter van Eekelen

ILO default password

Where can I find the default username/password of ILO? I have the toetag with C/N and PID, but neither of them work as password.
18 REPLIES 18
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It depends. on age/model and if system I/O bd has been replaced.

On old systems and systems wich has had the system I/O bd replaced.
There's a tag, attached to the server.
With the default dns name and password.

On other system
There's a sticker on the top lid.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

If you can't find default username/password for iLO, you can use iLO Security Override switch described in server user guide.

"The iLO Security Override switch allows emergency access to the administrator with physical control over
the server system board. Setting the iLO Security Override switch allows login access, with all privileges,
without a user ID and password.
The iLO Security Override switch is located inside the server and cannot be accessed without opening the
server enclosure. To set the iLO Security Override switch, the server must be powered off and
disconnected from the power source. Set the switch and then power on the server. Reverse the procedure
to clear the iLO Security Override switch.
A warning message is displayed on the iLO Web pages, indicating that the iLO Security Override switch
is currently in use. An iLO log entry is added recording the use of the iLO Security Override switch. An
SNMP alert may also be sent upon setting or clearing the iLO Security Override switch."
Wouter van Eekelen

Thanks a lot, I will check this the next time when I'm in the datacenter and get back to you once I found out.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You're welcome.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

dcason
Advisor

Hi Guys,

Sorry for butting in ....but if I HAVE the server tag showing the admin password and the name and it does not work, I did just open the case and flip sw 1 to disable the password for the iLO.   I have a DL 360 G5 that I'm trying to get in to.

I've tried the password which is iLO 2 according to the tag, and I've tried it with sw off (default) and on, and both times on the XP machine I have installed the integrated remote console on - it keeps saying "Login Failed:  Please verify your login creds.  When using the program do I just put in the server IP and leave both the username and password fields blank when I have sw 1 on?

What else can I try ?  Is there a way to reset the login ID and password ?  My reason for doing this is the servers console is dark when I try to boot the server so I'm trying the iLo as a back door in to the server ....

Cheers'
Dave

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The iLO should be accessible with just a regular HTTPS-capable web browser - for the console functionality, iLO will send a suitable ActiveX/Java applet to the browser.

If you have a dedicated application ("the program"?) for the console functionality, iLO may reject it if the console function cannot be activated because it thinks the server is down - in this case, use the browser to access the iLO web GUI: you should be able to view the iLO settings and the hardware log (IML) even if the console proper is not accessible.

As far as I know, the default iLO username is usually Administrator and the password is a random alphanumeric string - but it might have been a standard string with older models.

MK
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Depending on the ProLiant model, the default administator password is on a sticker affixed to the server. a cardboard toetag tied to the server, or a plastic toetag that slides out of a slot on the front of the server.

If the default Administrator password is not working, more than likely it was changed.  During POST you can access iLO by pressing F8 when prompted and go into user settings and reset the administrator password. If POST security is enabled, you can open the server and set SW1 to the ON position to disabel iLO security.  With iLO security disabled you can then access the settings during POST, or via the web GUI and reset the password. Once changed, set SW1 back to the OFF position.

The default iLO password contains 8 random alphanumeric characters.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
steven Prinz
Frequent Visitor

Dave,

I have never seen the default iLO2 password labeled as ILO 2 on the server tag. From my experience with the G5 series, the iLO2 username is always "Administrator" and the password is always set to a random 8 digit alphanumeric string (and the default DNS name for the iLO2 device is always "ILO" followed by the serial number for the server) which is documented on a cardboard tag attached to the server.

Perhaps you are looking at the wrong place

If the tag is not attached to the server any more, the iLO2 password can be changed to something of your liking by rebooting the server and pressing F8 when prompted during the system POST.

dcason
Advisor

GOT IT !

Well that was an easy fix .... ordered a new MB for $32 bucks and 16 GB of RAM for 180 and it's alive.

Thanks for all your help guys  .....