108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 questions: one on "ghosts" one on name resolution

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

2 questions: one on "ghosts" one on name resolution

1. I have auto-discovered a device, and it does not appear in the list. I went to manually add it, and CIM told me it was already discovered. I can not get this device to show up in the device query. I have tried deleting it from SQL, etc, and NOTHING!
2. I auto-discovered several machines that had aliases like "www" etc, and that's what they show up with in the CIM list. Do I have to edit SQL directly to change this?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You mention ghost in your subject. If the server has been cloned then CIM 7 gets confused because both machines share a common value in the registry. You need to delete the value in HKLM\software\Comaq Insight Manager\HostGUID and then when you restart the Compaq Foundation agent it will generate a new value.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor
Solution

For the name resolution, once you have found your device, you can manually change the name and lock it in the edit devices...

The other solution is to set the servers in your hosts file on your server, but It will resolve names in your own server before to resolve names on the DNS server. The file is in WinNT\System32\Driver\ETC\

By doing this you can assign the name you which with the IP you desire

Peace
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Well, I figured this one out - I made a copy of the IPs I was using, removed CIM and the database, and re-installled fresh. Put the IPs back in, redid autodiscovery. Boom, everything works perfectly.
(hint: if you have alot of queries, make sure you back them up!)
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

MFQ: thanks man! That worked on the name; I thought the edit device was only for manually discovered devices.