New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebooting a server

SOLVED
Go to solution
George_71
Valued Contributor

Rebooting a server

Hi,

I have CIM 7 installed and just tsting a few things. I thought I just reboot a server and see what happens! CIM 7 did not even realize that server was rebooted. I have also got CIM 5.50 installed on the same console and that sent me an alert saying the device was inaccessible. So why didn't CIM 7 report anything? ANyone know?

George
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by "sent you an alert"
You need to configure CIM7 to send alerts based on events etc.
Under Devices Queries Event, select All Events. Were any events generated for the Server reboot?

Interestingly last night I did a softpaq update on one of our Servers. On reboot no events were generated into IM. These are W2K Servers. Not sure if it's relevent, but on NT 4 Servers the SNMP Service starts before the Agents, on the W2K Servers it seems to start after and the issueing of Events seems a bit more hit and miss.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I think the issue I had was that the update process possibly disturbs the dependencies (on SNMP). Not tested this yet, but I believe that subsequent reboots of an updated Server will be detected by IM.
Brent Ingler
Respected Contributor
Solution

George,

There are two possibilities. The first, as Rob suggested, is that you don't have any notifications set up to alert you when a server goes down. CIM7 will not give you "Device Accessible" or "Device Inaccessible" messages, out of the box, like CIM5.5 will. The other thing to be aware of is that if you reboot the server immediately after either the Ping or SNMP polling tasks complete, and it comes back up before they run again, CIM has no idea they were ever down. To resolve this issue, just change the polling tasks to activate every 1 minute, instead of every 5, which I believe is the default.

Brent
George_71
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that I think you are correct its the 5 minute polling task.

I was expecting some kind of event but there wasn't any.

Thanks again.
George_71
Valued Contributor

Going back to :

"snmp services starting before the agents in NT 4 and that in 2000 its not always the case"

I agree, this is a bit of a hit and miss. I have servers that HW status for them is now gone BLUE and after investigation I found that they have been rebooted. The only way I can get them to go green again is to stop SNMP( which stops all the management agents) and then start it again first before starting the management agents.

WHY?

George

Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Hmm, all the Insight Agents are depending on the SNMP service to start so this behaviour normally cannot happen.
Make sure that you've applied at least SP2 on your W2K server.
Btw the SNMP status polling task has always confused people :-)
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!