108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4.2 hangs on MSDE setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nick Hromyak
Frequent Advisor

4.2 hangs on MSDE setup

I have tried using an installation service account for HP, and my own Domain Admin account.

It appears HP SIM, upon installation, can not access or create a new MSDE instance. I have two other applications using MSDE on this server.

What else can I do or look for?
6 REPLIES 6
Nick Hromyak
Frequent Advisor

Apparenlty HP IM does not like to share the MSDE and any other databases or instances.

I need to install more instances, but looking over the Microsoft Knowledge base, logging on using oSQL, and I am not able to create a new instance.

Anyone know where or how else to create a new MSDE instance?
Dennis Watson
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Create the MSDE database instance first. SIM default is to be the one and only MSDE database on the host server.

Download MSDE from microsoft and run the setup with the following parameters.
(In this example the instancename is HPSIM).

Setup.exe INSTANCENAME=HPSIM DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SAPWD=mypassword TARGETDIR="D:\Program Files\MSDE"

This will create the unique (empty) database required. During the SIM install enter servername\HPSIM as databaseserver.
Nick Hromyak
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply,

I tried as you outlined, MSDE begins installing, then it starts to install, the bar goes almost all the way to the right, then it "rollsback" the install bar, and apparently, it didn't install, certainly not in the directory I assigned it.

Suggestions?
Dennis Watson
Occasional Contributor

Forget about SIM install for now. First use the MSDE setup program to create a database instance (re-read my first post).

When it's done, install SIM. During the installation (when you're asked for username, password, and domain) you're asked for a database server. Enter the name of the database instance you just made. The SIM install should see it, and you're off.

Nick Hromyak
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

This is my result when I do the MSDE install only. I am indeed forgetting about the HP SIM install right now, I was trying to simply install the MSDE as you outlined. Could it be something wrong with my MSDE? Server? Or am I missing another config in MSDE?

Basically, HP told me to make another instance, but they don't know how, even though the support rep said it worked just now in his lab. :-/

When I try to make another instance within MSDE (using oSQL), it doesn't do it.

Also, when I did do the install, HP SIM, creates another database on the instance, but then HP SIM comes back and says, it can't connect to the database.

I am trying to find Microsoft's support for MSDE, and I keep finding SQL or oSQL. But nothing that addresses the error I am getting from trying to create a new MSDE install (as you outlined, and as a default).

BTW: I still think this is a HP problem, but I am trying to solve it through Microsoft.
Nick Hromyak
Frequent Advisor

YAH!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

I found a NEW(er) version of MSDE 2000 rev - A here:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/download.asp

Apparently, our three versions of MSDE (7.0 , 8.0 and 2000) were/are corrupt, or something.

I downloaded this, and followed your instructions (mixed with Microsoft's) and I was able to install a new instance. Even though the install did the "rollback" my new instance and location of the instance showed up on my server. Now I am finishing my install of HP SIM 4.2!

Soon, I get to search for all the SSH solutions.... ugg.