3272 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't see firmware versions

Yazzi
Advisor

Can't see firmware versions

Hi Everyone.

I feel like I must clearly be doing something wrong here but here's the situation.

I'm wanting to monitor hardware health and firmware versions of the blade enclosures in our estate, so I have the iLO addresses picked up and in SIM. It's picked them up as enclosures, and I drill down and it gives me the health, what blades are in which slot etc.

But I cannot for the life of me find a displayed firmware version.

Do I need a different method? Or am I just being daft and looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
shocko
Honored Contributor

Well, what version are you using??!

• Sim version?
  • Target OS version?
  • Using snmp or wbem?
  • What version of the IM agents

I'm using SIM 7.2 and on the IC agents 9+ you will get firmware version in the reports or on the system page of the server in SIM.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Yazzi
Advisor

SIM is 7.1

I'm not aiming it at OS, I'm aiming at the enclosue but the blades will be running a mix of redhat 5/6, ESXi and Windows 2003/2008

Using SNMP

I'm guessing from your reply there's no way to get it from the enclosure itself and you have to get it from an O/S agent? I'd rather not tough the O/S on the machines at all.

i hope not, that's a hell of a lot of agent installs if it is.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Hmm, the iLO should be able to get the BIOS version of the server but not all the frimware versions of the Nics etc. as far as I know.

Yazzi
Advisor

The one thing I'm getting through nicely is the VC firmware but not the enclosure firmware for some reason.

I'm ok with not being able to update remotely I'd just like to be able to see all the general firmware version in one place. We'll generally update NICs at the same time so we could live without NIC firmware etc.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Have yopu got SNMP setup on the OAs to point back at SIM?

Yazzi
Advisor

I have, and the test alerts work fine, they get sent through and appear in the log/get emailed out.

If I go into the enclosure in SIM I can even see the contents, ie: what blades and models of blades are in, just not anything firmware based.

shocko
Honored Contributor

There was some advisory elatng to version of the OA not working if you upghraded from SIM 6.3 to 7.1. I think its fixed in SIM 7.2. What version of the OA your runnnig?

Yazzi
Advisor

Mainly 3.7

Looks like I'll upgrade to 7.2 as a next step.