1748039 Members
4823 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Changing SIM Service Account Password

Darryl_21
Occasional Contributor

Changing SIM Service Account Password

Changed Service Account password and now recieve the following error upon starting Insight Mgr service.

com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Service is not connecting to SQL Database. Account has been verified to be correct.
10 REPLIES 10
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Use mxpassword command
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxpassword.1m.html

Something like:
mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword="newpassword"

or use "mxpassword -g" - it will start mxpassword GUI

Regards, Igor
Darryl_21
Occasional Contributor

Have tried this process and it dooesn't resolve the issue. Was able to access the MxPassword GUI and attempted to reset password but also didn't work.
Do you know which account is stored in the MxSshKeyPassword File?
rcseattle
Frequent Advisor

Wow!

This was the same problem I was having. We just changed the password for the service account this morning and SIM had been down since, unable to connect to the SQL database.

I was so surprised when I hit forums to see this post right at the top of the list.

Igor, that worked perfectly for me and I'm so happy that our SIM is back up and running!
Darryl_21
Occasional Contributor

After starting Insight Mgr and SSH service Im recieving the following error in the Event Log. How can I determine what the acutal Passphrase was for the dtf private key?

Received a ssh exception:Invalid Passphrase for dtf private key with
Phydeaux
Advisor

This does not answer Darryl's question...

This is a summary of:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977955

These steps solved my issue of:
Application Event:
Date: 2/28/2006
Time: 2:23:22 PM
Type: Error
User: N/A
Computer: [left out]
Source: HP Systems Insight Manager
Category: None
Event ID: 3
Description: com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'
com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Warning
Event ID: 2
Description: Restarting MxDomainManager

Application Event:
Time: 2:23:39 PM
Type: Information
Event ID: 3
Description: Restart was Successful

Then the 3 would cycle again 25 seconds later.

mxpassword is useful:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxpassword.1m.html
especially 'mxpassword -g' for users with complex password that include double quotes.

mxuser is not useful to solve this situation:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/info-library5/mxuser.1m.html

Summarized:
The problem is that the user account that installed HP SIM 5 is associated as the account to connect to the SQL server & that account is no longer working. This commonly breaks when the user's password or the account's name has been changed. That is why HP SIM should be installed while logged in with the same account that will be its service account. Installing under an equivalent user's administrator account and then changing the services to run under a different account will be a situation that will break when the user needs to change their password. This situation includes service pack updates to HP SIM.

To fix this change/verify the user account in the database.props file within 'C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config'. Look for the field 'hp.Database.username='. Change it to the same account that is used to run the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service.
Then use 'mxpassword -g' or 'mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=""'. The point is to change the password to the one of the service account.
Then restart the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' service or restart the computer. If you start the service, give it a few minute to start up.

Note: It is a good idea to have your monitoring solution monitor for these events just in case of this situation.
churchhouse
Occasional Advisor

I have tried all of the above and it simply does not work. the only difference between this system and another is that sql 2k5 express is not up to sp3.
Phydeaux
Advisor

churchhouse,

Sorry I cannot help much I don't use HP SIM anymore. Does the article I previousely provided (and right here http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=977955&admit=109447626+1251350788693+28353475) help?

Also look at the dates of this post. Is the information still relelvant today with the version of HP SIM you are using?

Phydeaux
dkflov
Visitor

Howto change password:

First: make sure which user i setup for this service, check in

c:\program files\hp\Systems Insight Manager\config\database.props

see which user in the line "hp.Database.username="

After this you use a commandprompt and mxpassword -g to modify the password

DoctorBob
Visitor

Had to change the service account on a very old SIM installation which I had inherited. Following that it appeard that the SIM service started but would not come online. I saw many security login failures and the service would restart every couple of minutes. I was very glad to find this article pop up in my first query. mxpassword -g did the trick. It saved a lot of digging around.

_QBA