1753701 Members
4887 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating an event for a dell server

Dee Dickerson
Advisor

Creating an event for a dell server

I was able to add a dell server to SIM, however, the event that I created does not notify when the server loses connectivity. I also noticed that although I have modified the SNMP settings for the dell, the server does not appear in SIM with all of the information that the cpq servers show up with. Thanks for any help.

Dee
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

When the Dell was taken down, was an Uncleared Critical Event generated? It should have been.
If you did a quick reboot it is possible to beat the default polling intervals which is why I shorten them here.

Not all Dells will be fully identified automatically. You can add devices manually though. Go to the Manage System Types, where it starts with the OID, use the Get From System Button on the RHS.
Dee Dickerson
Advisor

Rob, thanks for the information. I did not find an uncleared event for the Dell, but I did modify the polling period. I'll wait and see.

Regarding the Manage System Types, I am confused as to what I need to do. Could you be more specific or detailed in your directions please? If you could take me from the Managed Systems Type step, that would help.

Dee
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The Manage System Types allows you to add a device that is not identified by HPSIM.

So, first note the IP Address of a device you want to identify.
Go to Options / Manage System Types
Hit new, and to the right of the System Identifier Object hit Retrieve from system, enter the IP Address in the box and hit the get from system.
Keep going through the screens, you should be able to get enough information to uniquely identify this box. Give it a suitable description.

You'll then need to run the device identification task, you can do this for specific servers. This should identify all of the devices that are the same. In this way I've added devices to identify some SUN Cobalt Servers.