1752571 Members
4776 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Custom Commands inconsistent

Itsik
Occasional Contributor

Custom Commands inconsistent

Following my previous post (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=518709)
I have more details.
The custom command I created is a simple batch file that generates an audio alert in a response for a "Cold Start" event.
I added a line to the begining of the batch file that does "echo %date% %time% >> logfile.txt", this way I can know for sure whenever the batch file is launched.
When I go into HPSIM and look at Automatic Event Handling -> Manage Tasks, I can see the Alert task has fired each time a "cold start" trap was received. But while I get 10 restart alerts, only on 3 times the custom command was launched. In the log file I mentioned earlier I can see only 3 entries.

Did anyone else encounter problems with custom commands ?
How can I even start to troubleshoot this issue ?
I already increased the RAM on the HPSIM server, formatted and re-installed it, and replaced the MSDE with SQL Server 2000.
Any ideas ?
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The problems I've had with Custom commands are usually of it just doesn't work category.

I would try replicating the Event Task but just use an e-mail notification. This may help in identifying what doesn't seem to be happening.
My guess is there's some criteria in the Event Task that is not being met.
Itsik
Occasional Contributor

I have another event task that sends emails, and this task never fails.
I don't think it's a problem with the event criteria, because the event task is working.
When I go to "manage tasks" and click on the specific task, I can see below the "task details" section. In this section, I can clearly see all the instances of the task. The problems is that the custom command is not launched for every instance.

BTW - I hope I making myself clear since I'm not a native English speaker.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Itsik,
No problems with your english.
There are a couple of log files held in the depths of the IM Directory tree that do record what is going on.

They're not easy to interpret and you really need to do a test and then look at the log file immediately as a lot gets logged.