1752758 Members
4956 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.0 - changing SQL username and password

Andrew_281
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 5.0 - changing SQL username and password

I upgraded SIM 4.2 to 5.0 some weeks ago - no problems. However, I just changed the password on my admin account, and SIM subsequently died. It appears that I initially set up the SIM services to run as my admin ID, rather than our usual admin service account. I changed the service to log in as this user, but the connection still tries to use the old account. Looking in database.probs its buried in there. How can I chnage the account/password it uses?

Thanks

Andrew
10 REPLIES 10
sandu_1
Valued Contributor

Run the following command
mxpassword -r -x MxDBUserPassword
mxpassword -a -x MxDBUserPassword=

Now restart the service

Andrew_281
Occasional Advisor

That's great - thanks. Is there a similar command to change the user as well?
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

SIM uses Windows authentication when connecting to SQL. It can not be configured to use SQL server authentication. Now that you have reset the password, edit the globalsettings.props file and change the entry named "WindowsServiceUserName". After doing this I think u also should edit all the HPSIM and it's plug-in related DSN's to reflect the Username change and then try start the service.
Andrew_281
Occasional Advisor

I'm actually trying to use a different domain account .... thanks for the info on globalsettings.props ... but now it appears it does not like some of the 'special' characters in the password!
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

The database user is now defined in the database.props file. SIM 5.0 can now be configured to use SQL server authentication in addition to Windows NT authentication.

To configure to use the sa user you would edit the following line in database.props to read

hp.Database.username=sa

Of course you will also need to use the mxpassword command to set the password.

mxpassword -m -x MxDBUserPassword=yourpassword
Andrew_281
Occasional Advisor

I don't suppose anyone knows which 'special' characters are a 'problem' here? * seems to be OK, but things like ^ ) ! seem to prevent the password utility working
Mark Wolf_2
Advisor

put the password in single quotes if you are using special characters in password.
Andrew_281
Occasional Advisor

Thanks - single quotes don't seem to help - looking at the error its chopping off all the password after the & that it has in it....The HP Services are runnign as the same user and have no problem with the & - it just seems at the command line to be a problem
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

Andrew - I did a little testing and found that you can enclose the password within double quotes and specify any character including the &