1748022 Members
4732 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hard Drive Predictive Failures - Need them to register as critical events

MTITUSKP
Occasional Contributor

Hard Drive Predictive Failures - Need them to register as critical events

I am trying to figure out how to force these events to be critical. If you look at the alerts in SIM they are coming through as Warning level events. Investigating the MIB settings for that alert it shows its utilizing cpqida.mib - cpqDaPhyDrvStatusChange - (SNMP) Physical Drive Status Change (3046) and the severity is already set to Critical. A quick investigation of all the Physical Drive Status Change mibs in the cpqida.mib shows all of them default to critical severity. If the MIB is set to critical, why is the alert coming through as a warning, and is there a way to force it to critical? Appreciate any help you can provide.

5 REPLIES 5
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

The severity of this trap is dynamically defined and depends on the value of cpqHoTrapFlags.

This Trap is not always critical. HPSIM reads the value from the agent passed in cpqHoTrapFlags and then decides

severity of the trap.

If you want this trap to be defined always as critical, please let me know.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

MTITUSKP
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, and yes I am looking for a way to set this trap to always be critical so it is handled by our automatic event handler and a ticket is opened for it.

kurt3246
Advisor

Was a solution ever provided?

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I have asked this question before as well..

The "status change" events have underlying statuses that affect the severity - so for example the PFAs show up as minor.  The only way I have been able to work around this is to set up a new event collection for storage-related conditions and include Warning and Minor and have the event handler send a ticket (we use HPOM to talk to Remedy).  This way, we don't miss PFAs. 

The only other way i can think of is to modify the SNMP MIB, however from my understanding, you can set them ALL to be a single severity, so that means status changes of "OK" will also trigger a critical event, from previous discussions I had with HP on this topic.

The RAID battery condition is similar - it uses the status change type of trap.

kurt3246
Advisor

Thank you, I ended up creating a new email event task just for this particular event:

Physical Drive Status Change (3046)

Not the ideal solution, but it will suffice

Thanks for the tip on the RAID battery condition, I'll have to do the same for this