108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Reset System Management Homepage Password

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

How to Reset System Management Homepage Password

We have an image that loads up std builds of our servers. The previous guy has left and no one knows the default password for the 'administrator' 'operator' 'user' logins, I am pretty sure we can reset these somehow but have not yet found the solution. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers
19 REPLIES 19
Jenn Smith

You can use the administrator(windows)/root(linux)user and password of the operating system to login to System Management Homepage.
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

It's a windows server, the default admin usrname is NOT Administrator, so this does not work. I beleive you can copy some files from another instance onto the box and it will overide HPs password set. I'll keep looking ;o)
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor
Solution

It sounds like you are using an SMH from a pre-7.20 PSP. Starting with PSP 7.20 and later the SMH used OS based authentication. If you are using an SMH prior to this you can copy the CPQHMMD.ACL file - I believe that is what holds th passwords for the old Administrator/Opertaor/User accounts - from a system that you know the passwords from. You should find the file in the \compaq\wbem\ directory. If you are using a newer version of SMH - you may find that file there but it will not be using it but OS authentication.

Good Luck,

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

If you are using a newer SMH then *any* ID that is in the Administrator group for Windows can sign into SMH. Just reread the issue and I may have misunderstood your comments the first time.

-Rich
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

Nope that was what I was after, the release is prior to 7.20. I have installed a new copy of this release and copied the pswd file accross. Thanks for your help
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Hi guys - searching for a solution to this problem myself and haven't found one yet! :-\

I have SMH 2.0.2 and in 24-pt bold acros the top of the login page it says "Note: This version of the HP System Management Homepage uses host operating system authentication" But every time I try to log in with my system admin (Administrator) username and password I get: "Error - Login Failed".

Even if copying a passwd file from another system would help, I don't have another system to copy from. And I'm not certain reinstalling System Management Homepage will help either, there is a good chance this is the kind of software that doesn't delete all its registry entries, so when you reinstall all it does is pick up the old settings again...

So - where am I going wrong?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Chris, are you using a domain ID? If so, you have to specify the domain as part of the credentials like:

mydomain\username

Otherwise, SMH is making a straight OS call to for authentication it is not "checking" any password files for versions of SMH 2.0 and later.

-Rich
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Oh you genius boy you Rich!

Thanks that sorted my problem out. Why didn't I think of that... I wish I could assign you 10 points for tha, but it was someone else's question and it looks like s/he has abandoned it.

Thanks again, sometimes the simple, obvious soultion is the one that eludes us... well, me.
Brendan_25
Occasional Advisor

I'll give him the 10 points mate ;o)