1748217 Members
4255 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Incorrect managed system serial number

zarulzakuan
Advisor

Incorrect managed system serial number

The servers concerned are all ESX 5 servers. When they are discovered by SIM, one server gets appended to the otherтАЩs entry (depending on which was discovered first). We checked the network setup from VCenter before and it was OK, and reverse DNS lookup seems to work correctly.

The only other thing I could see with these servers was that the Serial numbers could possibly be duplicates and thought this might cause SIM to think they were the same device hence only 1 device will appear with 2 ip address in SIM.

Servers serial number details

----------------------------------------------------

ESX5SERVER1   Serial number: ABC12DEF34

ESX5SERVER2   Serial number: ABC12DEF34

ESX5SERVER3   Serial number: ESX5SERVER3

ESX5SERVER4   Serial number: ESX5SERVER4

----------------------------------------------------

Although Serial Number for these last 2 is apparently different, I am wondering if only a certain number of characters are read (e.g.: first 10) тАУ in which case the serial number would just appear to be ESX5SERVER тАУ so the same on both.  In any case, this is incorrect for both servers.

Could someone please enlighten me why is this happening and it would be very appreciated if someone could come up with a solution. Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
donteverstop
Advisor

HP SIM used UUID to separate servers from each other, the UUID is based upon both the Serial Number and the Product ID I belive. Try to set the Product ID on the affected servers.

Se also:

http://www.kozeniauskas.com/itblog/2011/01/23/no-uuid-or-serial-number-on-hp-server/

shocko
Honored Contributor

Can you enter the BIOS on one of the servers and send a screencap of the Serial Number and Product ID? These must be present in the BIOS for all servers. I have seen numerous instances where engineers have replaced system boards and forget to put these details back in (the factory replacement boards might have a blank serial/product ID or some generic text) or put the wrong details in.  This would also break IRS.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
zarulzakuan
Advisor

Thanks for your reply. I will look into that and will get back to you :)