5021 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight Power Manager with onboard Administrator c-class

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Insight Power Manager with onboard Administrator c-class

Hey!

We get many minor errors in SIM with error code: Onboard Administrator Error Response: 139 (Not a valid request while running in standby mode.)

Originated from the enclosure it self not the OA cards. We have Redundant OA cards in our Enclosures. My explanation is that it askes both OA cards and gets the error respons from the standby card..

Anyone got any suggestions or solutions to this "minor" and more anoying problem?

//Mattias
15 REPLIES 15
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

Did you solve this?

We have similar setup and receive same error.

Ole Thomsen
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

No well.. i just wrote this friday 1/2 something happened with the date.. If i solve it i'll post the solution here..
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

Hi,
Can you make sure
a) Active Onboard Administrator is discovered and associated in HP SIM with the enclosure your are trying to view the power/thermal graph.
b)You say that events are originated from enclosure and not the OA cards, Do you mean you see an events logged into the Events tab of the cClass server enclosure?

Power/thermal data is gathered for a cClass server enclosure from its Onboard Administrator which is running in Active mode, Standby OA will not retreive this data and hence if an attempt is made by HP IPM to gather data for a cClass server enclosure from a standby OA it will result in this error. HP IPM allways checks if the OA that it is attempting to gather power data is running in active mode.

Feel free to ask more queries.
Thanks
Deepak
Performance is compulsion and not an option if my existence is to be justified.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi! thanks for your reply. to answer your questions

a)Yes both the standby and the Active onboard administrator card is discovered and associated with the enclosure in HP SIM

b) Yes and no. The warning i get with the error response is listed as it was from the enclosure object in HP SIM, but when I look at the events on the enclosure objects it's not there. So i guess it├В┬┤s really an event from IPM.

Well obviusly it asks the standby card as well wether it's an error in config or in HP SIM i got 55 of these "Onboard Administrator Error respone: 139 (Not a valid request while running in standby mode.) over the weekend.
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

Hey Mattias,

What might have happened is IPM has attempted to collect power/thermal data from OA which is running in standby mode and hence you see the error, Instead IPM should [and it does] attempt to get power/thermal data for cClass server enclosure from its active OA.
1. What version of HP SIM and IPM you are running?
2. Yes its an event logged from IPM against the server enclosure. Now lets try to check if SIM has identified the OA as active/standby. Please go to the system page of both the OA's and check if you can see Role section and expand and check if the role is properly set on the OA's.
3. Is there any possibility that there was a OA failover [Switch from Active to Standy] and OA was not configured to send SNMP traps to HP SIM so that HP SIM could update the OAs with proper roles. I think this could be one of the possibilites. In this case the role information with HP SIM would be stale and hence IPM is continuing to gather data from OA that it thinks is Active which in reality is running in standby mode.
Thanks
Deepak
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

1. The system insight manager version is 5.1 and the Insigt power manager is 1.30. Later in March we will upgrade to 5.2.

2. yes it has discovered which has the active and standby role.

3. No maybe on a few occasions but this is a reacurring problem. so I can't see that it's a failover happening on 11 chassis several times in a weekend.
V Deepak Kumar
Regular Advisor

HP SIM 5.2 has IPM 1.4 with loads of bug fixes. Did the upgrade fix/solve the issue?

Thanks
Deepak
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

We run 5.2 and have same error.

Ole Thomsen
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Still have the same problem with 5.2 also.