Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752590 Members
3613 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No systems showing up in the All Systems page after automatic discovery by using a hostfile

Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

No systems showing up in the All Systems page after automatic discovery by using a hostfile

Hi folks,

it seems that we have the same problem on our CMS server !!!

I have installed a new instance of the current HPSIM on a DL380G3 with W2K and Service Pack 4 (and additional Hotfixes) on it.

After installing HPSIM I have got the entry of the CMS in a correct way on my HPSIM System List/All Systems.

Then I've configured a host file with all my servers in it like this:

IP FQDN NetBiosName

Then I have added the systems with the button on the page were you can configure hostfiles.

Then I've added the hostfile into the Automatic Discovery Page in the section "Inclusion Range" like this:

$hostfilename

Then I have installed the HP Agents V.7 on the servers which I want to monitore and I have configured the Webagent passwords. Additionally to that I have configured SNMP on these servers with the same community name like the CMS has (With Read/Write).

Then I have configured the global protocol settings to use ICMP, HTTP, HTTPS and SNMP (no WBEM and no DMI).

When I now start the automatic discovery no system next to the CMS is showing up.
When I try to add a system manually that is configured in my hostfile, the CMS tells me that this name allready exists.

Any idea to fix this problem ?
Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: No systems showing up in the All Systems page after automatic discovery by using a hostfile

Just a question, but why use a hostfile for discovery.

Why not just enter the IP Address ranges you want discovered?

e.g. 10.10.10.1-10.10.10.254

Another item to check is filters, try unchecking the use filters option and rerun discovery.
Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

Re: No systems showing up in the All Systems page after automatic discovery by using a hostfile

Hi Rob,

The discovery filters are deactivated and I am using a hostfile to not getting all the other NON-Wintel systems which are also located in the same VLANs. All the routers, switches, NON-Wintel-HP sytems, UNIX, etc. I am not interested in.

Anyhow, if I use a hostfile by pointing to it as "$hostfilename" in automatic discovery why do I not getting any additional systems ?

Any idea ?

Which minimum access rights on the external SQL 2000 instance does the domain user has to have that was used for installing the CMS ?

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I don't know, I've not used a hostfile, I tend to use address ranges and the exclusion lists to keep it clean of stuff I don't want to see.

Did you add the hostfile using the GUI part of IM?
Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

Hi Rob,

thanks for your reply.

Yes I have created the hostfile by using the GUI and afterwards I have configured it by using a text editor and saved it back into the default location under the install directory.

What is the easiest way to clean out all systems but not the cms from the SQL db ?
Can I do that over by using the CMS gui ?
Then I will try it by using your reco...
thanks
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not too sure what you mean by clean out the systems.

If nothing has been discovered then you will not have much there.
Just change things to not use a host file and enter an address range for the Discovery Range.

When you kick off the Discovery I seem to recall it reports on how many Servers it's pinged etc. as it goes.
The Discovery should take a while, if it just flashes through then it would indicate a problem with the host file.
You could start by just using a very small address range and discovering them.

Also, once Systems are discovered you can delete them from the database from the All Systems Display, just select it and hit the delete key.
Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

Yep, that's a good way...

After a while it seems to be an access control issue between the external SQL database and the CMS user account.

Which minimum access control rights does the CMS user account needs to write new discovered systems into the database ?

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I'm a bit confused why you're getting a database issue now and not during the installation.

I've not seen an issue like that unless something has changed post install.
Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

Rob, I have installed HPSIM with a external SQL database and then the permission for my domain user account was set to SA for the installation.

After the installation the responsible SQL guy has changed the permissions to something with I cannot create new tables.

I guess that this could be an issue.

Does the HPSIM needs the rights to create tables ?
Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

So, for all folks out there:

If you have to connect to an external SQL 2000 database the following permissions are the minimum requirements for the CMS user account that it is able to create and drop an index:

- db_ddladmin
- db_write
- db_read

As an alternative you can configure the permissions as DBO or SA but I do not recommend this.