3751 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: One Instance of SIM, two companies.

dwheat17
Occasional Contributor

One Instance of SIM, two companies.

Hello All,

I have installed the latest SIM and I can see all my servers from company A.  I also work for company B.  Is it possible to have servers for both companies in the same instance of SIM?  Company A & B are two separate networks in to different physical locations.

4 REPLIES 4
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If your SIM server can ping/access the 2 customer networkds at the same time, yes you can configure SIM so that you can manage the 2 environments...

Do the discovery of the 2 networks, so that all servers can be seen under All Systems.

Then you can create 2 (or more) collections for each customer. Filter can be based on server names or IP subnet or so, a unique identifier per customer...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
dwheat17
Occasional Contributor

Spoiler

Hmmm.  I am a little weak on the concepts here.  I cannot ping my servers from outside the network.  I sure I turned pinging off in the firewal.  Does Discovery work with pinging?  That is, is there a way around this?

Another related question: Can I set up the servers on my other network to send traps to an external ip address?  I'm looking to have one console some where and I'm not sure it HP SIM is the console to use or if there are other options.

Thanks in advance.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Discovery of SIM starts with ping, afterwards SNMP and finally (based on the SNMP response) more selective like Systems Management Homepage, WBEM, DMI, etc...

So ping is quite important...

You can eventually import a hostfile or do a ping on another port like 80 or so but that is already some advanced... Hard to explain in some words here...

You can set the other servers to send traps to your SIM server but also for that there should be some kind of route between the concerned servers and your SIM server...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
shocko
Honored Contributor

Provided your CMS can see the networks in B and also the ports on the firewall are open there should be no issues doing that ;)

Note: For windows credentials though you may need a trust relations ship between domains or the like

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)