4914 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SIM 6.3 - Upgrade to SIM 7.0

shocko
Honored Contributor

SIM 6.3 - Upgrade to SIM 7.0

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had upgraded from 6.3 (incl. hotfixes) to 7.0. Any incidents to report?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
5 REPLIES 5
shereepdx
Occasional Contributor

Updated from SIM 6.3 w/December 2011 hotfix to SIM 7.0.

1. The memory leak seems worse than ever.  It used to take a couple days for it to gradually chew up all avaliable RAM to the point of making the entire system unresponsive; now it's after a few hours.  Even while SIM is doing absolutely nothing.

2. Software status polling does not update the lists any more. (ThreadSoftware management is the only reason we're using SIM, so a fix would be appreciated!

I'm ready to help troubleshoot--our SIM isn't production yet, so I can tweak on it and reboot it--whatever it takes to get it working again.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Wow, good to know. Thanks for the feeback.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
shereepdx
Occasional Contributor

For anyone that's wondering:

I uninstalled SIM completely and did a clean install of SIM 7.0.  Software status polling still did not update the status in the list, after appearing to complete successfully (and after multiple logins/logouts/reboots).

Uninstalled again and installed 6.3, the December hotfix, and Remote Support... it works again.

Someone, please let us know when SIM 7.0 actually works!

jkarlsmyr_epi
Advisor

Hi,

it makes me sad to see that your upgrade to 7.0 was not an epic success! Has anyone heard anything from HP regarding patches or answers about these problems?

We are currently considering upgrading/migrating to 7.0 since our 6.3 installation is kind of borked, but seeing this does not make me eager to rush into 7.0.

Best Regards,

Jkarlsmyr

Peter Windey
Occasional Advisor

Well I am doing the upgrade now and we run in to one specific issue.

The server rebooted and after that it basically hung on the power management module. We looked into it, turned out that the sim user account had gotten locked and on the SQL server there were a ton of errors like this:

'the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication' and

'SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x8009030'

So we had to unlock the user, restart the HP sim service during the installation just to keep it going. It did eventually finish succesfully but we only found out about that by going to check log files on the SQL server and such. Some indication during install would be nice.