6487 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

SNMP Settings on Server running Agent

Peter_292
Advisor

SNMP Settings on Server running Agent

Hi

do i have to explicitly set the SNMP Trap Settings in SNMP Service Properties (like com.strin. public and as destination the host running SIM) ? I thought it should be enough cause SNMP is broadcasted.

SIM doesnt get Traps from some Servers which dont have these settings but only.
1 REPLY 1
Pat Wilson
Valued Contributor

Re: SNMP Settings on Server running Agent

I think you answered your own question - "SIM doesn't get Traps from some Servers which don't have these settings..."

You must specify the trap destination inside an SNMP community, and configure the client to either 'Accept SNMP Packets from these hosts' with a list of SNMP management servers - or 'Accept SNMP packets from any host' (not as secure).
You should also change the 'Accepted community names' from the default of 'public', and implement your own community naming scheme. At my company, we delete the 'public' entry, and use two names - one configured for read only (monitoring string), and one configured for read/create (control string). This name change will prevent someone from making unauthorized changes.

These community names need to be configured in HPSIM under Options -> Protocol Settings -> Global Protocol Settings in the 'Default SNMP Settings' section.

Good Luck !!