Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752782 Members
6378 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Systems Insight Manager - How exactly the discovery process works?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fernando Baggio
Advisor

Systems Insight Manager - How exactly the discovery process works?

I have just installed HPSIM in on box and I am trying to know how the discovery process EXACTLY works in a SIM environment, I mean, which are the steps of the sw during the discovery process (what it do step by step).
I tryed to find this information but I had no success on that.
I am used to use NNM, so is inevitable try to do a comparative between the discovery process of these softwares.
I know that these are completely different softwares but as I know the behavior of netmon (NNM's daemon responsible for the discovery) what I looking for is - How is the behavior of SIM during the discovery process?

Thanks in advance,
Fernando Baggio
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Automatic Discovery is basically a ping of a range of addresses you specify. If hpSIM gets a response, it will add it to the discovered device list. You can control what kind of device gets added through discovery filters.

Once a device is discovered it kicks off a process for identification, which basically goes down a list asking questions about which protocols the device can speak for management.

An hpSIM technical reference guide is not available yet, but it goes through the same process the IM7 used. Check out chapter 4 of the IM7 TRG by going

http://www.hp.com/servers/manage --> IM7 --> Documentation --> Insight Manager 7 Technical Reference Guide
Fernando Baggio
Advisor

Thank you for your information.