Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753479 Members
5167 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Total Newbie - 10,000 foot view

Scott_271

Total Newbie - 10,000 foot view

Ok, just got ten new DL380's and 360s. Would like to set up Insight manager and VCRM. Would like to do this all from one console. Could you give me a broad understanding of the landscape. It seems like their are so many tools, apps and configs that I'm not sure where to start. I did install Insight Manager on a server along with the MSDE component and VCRM....I think. Thanks alot!!!
5 REPLIES 5
Ronald Kowalka
Advisor

There are a number of management software products having similar names. Are you referring to HP Systems Insight Manager or Insight Manager 7?

What is your specific question?
Thanks
Scott_271

Well, I guess I'm wondering can I set up Insight manager on one server then run agents on all of the others so I have one management interface? Same with the VCRM?
Huerlimann Rene
Advisor

Hi Scott,
you can configure a software repository on the server A and the Version Control Agent of each system has to point to this server A.

Then you can remotely install Support Packs and other software from the server A to the systems (even if the Support Pack which includes the Version Control Agent is not yet installed on the remote system).

You have to configure SNMP and WBEM first.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Okay, a quick summary.
You can install the IM Agents on all Servers and individually browse to them.
You install Insight Manager on a suitable Server and configure it to discover your Servers. This gives a Central Management Server for your environment to monitor and access Servers. You need to get the SNMP settings and Trust Certificates sorted out.

You can then add the VCRM to this, typically installed on the same Server as Insight Manager in installed on, but not essential.
Copy down the Softpaqs, plus additional online BIOS etc into a suitable directory structure and configure the VCRM.
Configure the VC Agents on the Server to reference the VCRM, IM will now report on the overall status here via the SW column.

There's a lot of documentation as regards how to set this up.

In summary you now have a single view of your enterprise. The Proliants will have very detailed info. available, but you can extend this to switches etc. SNMP Traps generated from devices can be sent to IM.

IM can be configured to e-mail, page etc base on events.
Scott_271

That's what I was looking for. You say there is a lot of documentation on how to do this...where? The onlything that came with the CD's is really rudimentary stuff like sys req's and different OS support. Nothing for examples or practical deployments. Thanks guys.