5415 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updated NICs from HP Systems Insight Manager - lost network team

neilthatsmyname
Occasional Advisor

Updated NICs from HP Systems Insight Manager - lost network team

Wonder if someone could assist.

I have just upgraded the NIC firmware on one of our Proliant DL360 G5's using Support Pack 8.70 on HPSIM and since the reboot my Network Team has failed.

I have no options in HP Teaming software to Dissolve or create the Team and also noticed that when I look at Network Connections it shows the team but no other NICs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this server can no longer connect to the network.

Neil

10 REPLIES 10
shocko
Honored Contributor

Some more info please:

1. What OS are you using?
  2. What NIC models are in use?
  3. What firmware did you update to?
  4. What drivers version for the NIC are you using?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
neilthatsmyname
Occasional Advisor

Morning, my apologies was rushing around trying to get it working.  Which I have but will explain.

OS on server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64.

NIC Models are HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapters x 2

Firmware updated to was 6.2.8.0

Driver versions on NICs are 6.2.9.0

Basically I ran the firmware update and lost network connectivity to the server.  I then went to the server as was doing the update remotely.  The Team was showing as unavailable and no NICs bar the team were showing within Network Connections.  On device manager it showed the 2 NICs but with yellow exclamations marks next to each one.

The fix was to download the NIC driver from HP downloads and install, then was able to go back into the teaming software and dissolve the team and recreate.

Will this happen on all servers when I need to update NIC firmware that relates to a team, or is there a procedure to follow?

neilthatsmyname
Occasional Advisor

Mornign apologies I was in a rush getting the server back up and running, will explain how I did this.  Anyway answers to your questions:

OS on the server is Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64

NIC Models are HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapters

Firmware upgraded to was 6.2.8.0

Driver version is 6.2.9.0

I ran the firmware update remotely from my HPSIM server, as I did this I lost Network Connectivity to the server.  On going to the server I noticed that the network connection had been lost and there was no option within the teaming software to dissolve the team.  On looking in device manager it showed both NICs with the yellow exclamation marks.  To get round this I had to download the NIC driver from HP's download site and update, once I had done this I was then able to dissolve the team and recreate.

Is there some form of procedure to updating firmware on NIC cards when a TEAM is involved, if so how do I go about this and if not then where am I going wrong.

Thanks

Neil

shocko
Honored Contributor

It really depends on the hardware. In general, form my experience, I would update the drivers first and then the ROMs

shocko
Honored Contributor

And also when updating NIC drivers, ensure the NCU is at the appropriate version also ;)

neilthatsmyname
Occasional Advisor

Thanks shocko, I have a few more servers in the same environment that will need updating so I will look at updating the drivers first then trying the firmware update.

Will let you know the outcome..

Kudos where kudos is due!!

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

Hi,

we actually had the same issue on a BL465c G7 (NC551i Onboard Converged Network Adapter).

After installation of the new NIC Driver (Version 4.0.xxx) the two onboard NICs were gone and the Teaming was "damaged"...

Only solution was to deinstall the NICs through the Windows Device Manager and rescan the System for Hardware Changes so we could reinstall the NICs.

Luckily the problem showed up only on one server so we could update the rest of the servers...

Regards,

shocko
Honored Contributor

Run these commands form the command line:

• set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
  • start devmgmt.msc

The click View->Show Hidden Devices and look to see if there are any additonal hidden NICs being detected. If so, remove them.

neilthatsmyname
Occasional Advisor

@SwisspostIT wrote:

Hi,

we actually had the same issue on a BL465c G7 (NC551i Onboard Converged Network Adapter).

After installation of the new NIC Driver (Version 4.0.xxx) the two onboard NICs were gone and the Teaming was "damaged"...

Only solution was to deinstall the NICs through the Windows Device Manager and rescan the System for Hardware Changes so we could reinstall the NICs.

Luckily the problem showed up only on one server so we could update the rest of the servers...

Regards,

Ville,

Exactly the issue we are having, no occurred on 2 servers.. both PL DL360 G5's