1748165 Members
3818 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

VMWare ESXi doesn't report fault memory to SIM

kkpro
Regular Advisor

VMWare ESXi doesn't report fault memory to SIM

Hi, we have DL380G7 with VMWare 4.1 ESXi server connected to SIM 7.1. One day noticed that System Health LED on server flashing red wtih two DIMMs marked as fault. But SIM is showing there are no any errors, all "green". "Health Status" - "WBEM" - "Memory" just do not show the fault DIMMs, only the good ones.

Having installed the latest HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi 4.1 (version 1.4).

SIM reports in "Manage Communication" that everything is OK and "The Central Management Server (CMS) is able to receive events from the system(s)."

6 REPLIES 6
Brad Cunningham
Trusted Contributor

Re: VMWare ESXi doesn't report fault memory to SIM

Have you subscribed to WBEM events for this node?

Options>events>subscribe to wbem events

kkpro
Regular Advisor

Hi, yes, checked one more time - node is subscribed to WBEM events.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Send a test event form the ESXi server and see if it hits the CMS server. This will check if wbem subscriptions are actually working.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

I've discovered today a similar (or maybe same) problem:

A Virtual Center Server reported a defect DIMM on a host.

When looking onto the machine in HP SIM, on the system status page under health status everything is green.

but when you then open the details page (by clicking for example on the "Memory" link) it shows under physical memory the yellow status and shows also correctly the defective DIMM...

happens under:

VMware ESXi 5.0.0 build-768111

HP SIM 06.03.00.00 

Have to check if this still happens after upgrade to SIM 7.1 ...

kkpro
Regular Advisor

In case of ESXi with WBEM, does it send something to HP SIM, like SNMP trap, or does the HP SIM poll ESX host ?

Don't know from which SIM version it has begun, but in SIM 7.1 there is a "WBEM Health Inclusion Status" in ESXi's system "Tools and links". If I open it, there is a list of "Component Health Status", where each could be included or ignored.

Mine is looks like this:

- HP Management Processor - Integrated Lights Out 3 (iLO 3)

- Power Supply 1 at PowerSupplySlot=1

- Power Supply 2 at PowerSupplySlot=2

- 4 ethernet controllers 

Does it mean, that only these component's health could be monitored ? Or does it mean that only these component's health status could be ignored ?

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

just for your information:

the discovered issue i had with HP SIM 6.3 doesn't anymore happen on HP SIM 7.1!

we just had a defective DIMM on a ESXi Host and our HP SIM 7.1 did recognize and display the health status correctly