108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

configured SMH settings are not beeing propagated at installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

configured SMH settings are not beeing propagated at installation

I configured the latest 7.40 PSP for Windows 2000/2003. I have done the configuration with unpacking PSP and running setup.exe then I run the package on the host. I have also tried doing this in HP SIM repository, I configured the SMH component and sent the full PSP to a host with HPSIM 5.0. But the settings what I configured are not propagated to the host, it seems SMH is running with default settings.
This behavior is not expected. Do you have the same experience, and do you have any trick how can I force my settings to hosts at PSP installation? On my hosts previously there was PSP 7.30.
11 REPLIES 11
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

Re: configured SMH settings are not beeing propagated at installation

Click on "Configure a Component" link under "Catalog" tab in VCRM and make sure SMH is configured with the settings you applied

if you have more than 1 VCRM in your network then make sure all the target VCA's are configured to this particular VCRM (where SMH component was configured) and then deploy PSP using SIM and check SMH versions and configurations on target servers to make sure SMH is upgrade.
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

Yes, I also tried configuring in VCRM and to send out that modified package with HP SIM. We have only one VCRM. Can you confirm that you see on installed hosts what you set in VCRM component configuration?
Steven Laux
Frequent Advisor

I saw another thread that stated the 7.40 agents are having problems delivering all the preconfigured settings. You may want to search the forum for that thread.
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

TechGuru
Trusted Contributor

Make sure to select "Force" option before upgreading, This will force the new settings to store and take effect in SMH
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

In VCRM component configuration it is not possible to tell SMH component to force pre-set configured settings to push with the installation, because I believe it is the default behaviour: overwrite and not preserve old settings. But for this release this doesn't seem to work, it simply installs with default settings made by HP. So can you explain what force mode you mean?
TechGuru
Trusted Contributor
Solution

If you deploy that SMH component using SIM or VCA then you will get a option "force install"-[a check box to select]

in SIM if you do "install Software and firmware" and select the target and the SMH component to install then there will be a option "force" select that and install
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

I will try both and let you know the result. For me this force options mean only to reinstall or downgrade components. But, let we see. ;)
Szabolcs Petho_1
Regular Advisor

I got very interesting result.

SMH 7.30->7.40

Going to the destination host VCA, clicking on SMH component and choosing "Force Installation" propagates my preconfigured settings!!!

Installing SMH with HPSIM "Install software and firmware..." and choosing "Force downgrade or reinstall the same version" installs with HP defaults, so not good for me. It doesn├в t matter it is only SMH or part of PSP installation.

Many thanks. So it is a workaround, but unfortunately only works for not large installations. And a bug, if somebody installed it with HPSIM he lost his configuration and certainly the VCA trust as well...

But someone should confirm my test.