Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748089 Members
4708 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: cqmghost.exe opening a port on the firewall - Why?

Derek_31
Valued Contributor

cqmghost.exe opening a port on the firewall - Why?

On my Windows Server 2003 servers with PSP 7.30, I am getting security audit messages as shown below. The port number is not always the same. Why is cqmghost.exe trying to open somewhat random ports?

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Detailed Tracking
Event ID: 861
Date: 7/4/2005
Time: 8:23:01 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: CATWOMAN
Description:
The Windows Firewall has detected an application listening for incoming traffic.

Name: -
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CPQMgmt\CqMgHost\cqmghost.exe
Process identifier: 592
User account: SYSTEM
User domain: NT AUTHORITY
Service: Yes
RPC server: No
IP version: IPv4
IP protocol: UDP
Port number: 2190
Allowed: No
User notified: No

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Bulgier
Advisor

Yikes, a year later and no one has replied?

I get this on a bunch of servers too, so I would be interested if anyone knows the magic I need, thx.
EllisHillinger

We have encountered the same error message. Has anyone found an explanation yet?
Benjamin Morneault

Any one??? I also have this question! These forums only work if the solutions are posted as well as the questions!
Adal López

I found this document googling:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/1/f71adf6e-dbab-48a2-9a29-9e481110fd55/SCWTroubleshooting.doc

They use this error as an example on page: 15. I created an exception in the windows firewall based not on the port but on the program because it randomly selects a different port each time it tries. Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall, go the exceptions tag, then click on the "Add Program" button. Add the program by browsing to the path indicated in the error log and add it. This will let the program open any port it needs. It's not a virus or anything and you can't disable it. It's some HP software which doesn't get along with the Windows Firewall. I also attached the .DOC I menctioned before.
ksLES