1752509 Members
5253 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CDRecord on 11.31 - Legacy DSFs disabled

EEESEC
Frequent Advisor

CDRecord on 11iv3 - Legacy DSFs disabled

Is it possible to still use CDRecord/DVDRecord on 11iv3 if you have legacy DSF naming disabled?  I can't find a clear yes or no on this in any documentation and would like to find out if it's even possible before I continue to try and get it to work.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: CDRecord on 11iv3 - Legacy DSFs disabled

EEESEC
Frequent Advisor

Had a few  fires to put out and just got back to this.

Thanks for the info.  As stated in my first post, all I'd like to know is if cdrecord can work on 11iv3 if you have legacy device naming disabled.  Or stated differently, can cdrecord handle 11iv3's agile DSF naming scheme?    I'm hoping to hear a "yes it can, because I have done it" or "nope, it's not supported" type answer. Not asking how, but if....

I'm not locked in to any particular version of cdrecord.

The following support document under the "Errors" section states that:

"If the system with the DVD writer is running HP-UX 11i v3, end-user must use a legacy device special file to identify the DVD."

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=4077173&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c02828499

However, this document is referring to the cdrecord that is distributed with IgniteUX, which is an older version.  I would *think* that since newer versions of cdrecord (aka cdtools) can speicify a device by name it would be ok.  My initial attempts haven't worked. 

I'd hate to waste time trying to do something that simply isn't supported....

Thanks.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>it seems to use the following code to construct a device name from that:

>if you have no (stinking) "/dev/rscsi/c?t?l?" devices, then you may be out of luck.

Could you simply hardlink or symlink a name like that to the Agile device?

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor