108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Compatible, recommended IGNITE tape device query

SOLVED
Go to solution
eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

Compatible, recommended IGNITE tape device query

Easy points for accurate informed answers !
Does anyone know or have the latest working link to supported tape devices that support ignite boots (itanium 11v2+11v3).
Ok, I have read many answers and comments like:
Yes I use DLT drives and they work. Thats great but Im trying to find out what the supported recommended tape units are - not necessarily what happens to work. Are we still "officially" restricted to DAT-40's/ DDS-4's? Again, could I pls stress that its an easy 10 pointer but im not looking for "what works" rather what is supported. Also, to head off any "why dont you use an ignite server" question .....Im asking about supported tape drives. Many thks !
13 REPLIES 13
kemo
Trusted Contributor

Re: Compatible, recommended IGNITE tape device query

Your question is not about ignite, it is about tape drive's performance.
so you should choose the best tape performance which is also supported by HP systems.

check below link.
http://www.lascon.co.uk/d010003.htm

check your server HW computability with the highest performance tape, then use it.

thanks
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you like to know what is working, them i would recommend to contact HP people or just rent some demo and try.

we always do it this way.

mikap
eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

Okay , so I have had 2 answers.
The 1st telling me that my questions isnt actually about ignite (really?) and the 2nd pointing to to a site.
A bit of advice:
When a person acts a question, there are typically 2 possible answers. The 1st is the answer, the 2nd is "I dont know". It is not helpful to turn a question into a "I dont know about that but Ill try and shine by talking about something else I might know"

So, addressing the 1st response. I have to correct your notion. Im not sure how long you have been working on HPUX systems but historically IGNITE has been very particular about the devices it rights to. With the advent of itanium and the 2 step recovery/ then 1 step with patches to the popularity of ignite servers and demise of dds drives, the supported and used tape devices are diverging. ...hence the question. The 2nd response is nice but I can point out the the 320's arent supported. So Whilst I appreciate the responses, I ask again - Does anyone know the answer. For the purpose of pragmatism, lets assume for a moment that I know what and why Im asking the question. Many thks in advance.
eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

..pardon the typo -> ask not act
kemo
Trusted Contributor

FYI, Not everyone seeking POINTS for replying with an answer, they are "trying" to help who ""needs help"" and "brainstorming" so we can contribute together for helping.
I do believe most of ITRC members are here to cooperate. please put this in your mind. and thanks for your nice words.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi Eriic,

what do you exactly mena with this :

"but I can point out the the 320's arent supported."

could you please define which itanium based servers do you have ( rxXXXX, Superdome (SDXX SX1000/SX2000, BL860/870 BL860/870/890 ic2, SuperDome2 SX3000 ), because each product ( server ) have a different way hove to connect to the TAPE ( drive ). ( SCSI / USB / FC )

mikap

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

Kemo - discussion is great, opinions are wonderful. However, before the point is lost lets not forget your response was to negate the validity of the question. I asked a very simply question and your answer, or discusion if you like was : "the question isnt about ignite" rather about drives ?. Surely you can see the problem with that? The response I gave was commensurate with your comments. Ill assign points to all answers, afterall a response is a response but my "kind" comments attempt to address comments that could be interpreted as "odd" at best (cause and effect). Anyway, lets not make etiquette and language a cruasadable point where nobody wants to admit to writing the wrong thing.

Anyway...lets move on !

...so the question still stands. What are the compatible tape devices for IGNITE.
eric lipede_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Michal
Matrix you supplied showes
http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/IPF/Detail/16-0064-0093.html

Related Options & Support:

HP-UX Ignite-UX Boot From Tape Recovery
Write Once, Read Many (WORM) Technology
Tape Encryption (AES 256-bit)

Server: HP Integrity rx8640
Backup device: HP StorageWorks DAT 320 USB

USB tape devices arent supported as IGNITE boot devices.

....Interesting subject isnt it !

Ideally it would be great if we could have (for example)

DAT-320 (SCSI, model xxxx) supported for IGNITE booting
DDS-4 (SCSI, model xxxx) supported for IGNITE booting

etc

Thks again

All answers assigned points