1751967 Members
4520 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Configuring individual files with Ignite

Talia Sofer
Occasional Contributor

Configuring individual files with Ignite

When I install with ignite, I'd like to have certain files in place that ignite doesn't do by default. For instance, I would like /etc/PATH to have certain paths in it, /etc/hosts, etc.

I don't want to create a golden image because too many things about the install will change, instead I'm doing a base install with a lot of configuration over it.

The best way I can think of to add these files is to package them all together as an sd-ux bundle and have ignite install it. That's not a bad way, as far as I can tell, but I'm curious if anyone has a different or better suggestion.

Thanks,

Talia
3 REPLIES 3
Sarah Plunkett
Advisor

Hi Talia,

You could package these files all together and then install the package before the first reboot or you could call a script from your config file (post_load_cmd) to do this task.

It sounds like you are going to install from OS depot on IUX server. Therefore, you will have to let Ignite copy these files into their "standard" location and then use config scripts to move them to their new locations.

Hope this helps,
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

This is a common task that can be done with Ignite. See /opt/ignite/share/doc/sysadm.txt.
This directory also has some common how-to papers and important information.

See "Step 4: Customize the system. " for information about customizating the PATH and/or /etc/hosts.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Talia Sofer
Occasional Contributor

Sarah: Okay, thanks. The post_load_cmd script bears considering as well.

Cheryl: Unless I misunderstand, the "Step 4: Customize the System" is in regards to making a golden image. I don't want to use a golden image because 1. the installs that I'm going to do will have small changes frequently enough that it's not practical and 2. I don't really have a good system to build an image on.

I was wondering if there was a way to say "while you're installing all these packages, etc, go ahead and copy these particular files over too."

But It looks like it's best to either go with the package or write it as a script myself.

Thanks!