Operating System - HP-UX
1756404 Members
2930 Online
108847 Solutions
New Discussion

Creating an Ignite config file based on existing system installation?

mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Creating an Ignite config file based on existing system installation?

Hi all,

We have a number of systems which are classified, and this means that a golden image from one of them is also classified. However it is possible, with some effort, to bring ASCII text files out of the classified network.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to create a text Ignite config file on one of these systems that would be able to be used to install a new machine from an unclassified Ignite server - something that would reflect the currently installed filesets and versions for the classified system, but then make it possible for us to use HP-provided filesets on an unclassified Ignite server to build a replica of the classified system's OS on a new machine.

My first thought was the Ignite-UX save_config script, but I don't recall that that puts together a comprehensive list of filesets. For instance, some of the systems were installed with the TCOE bundle, but then had the various other languages removed, so while the system still appears to have the TCOE bundle installed, not all of the filesets from that bundle are still installed. So something that simply listed TCOE as a whole would bring in unwanted filesets.

Would I need to massage the output of swlist -l fileset, perhaps?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Creating an Ignite config file based on existing system installation?

I think you'll find it a lot more secure to build a Golden Image or copy the TCOE DVD as the install media. Then refine the images as required. There may unnecessary filesets but at least these won't be classified. I am continuing to discover the huge number of IP address that are scattered throughout various applications. While you could grep recursively through all the files, there would always be the possibility of something still lingering in the classified image. It would be difficult to prove the absence of classified material. swlist shows HP software and possibly some 3rd party or freeware. Software that was simply un-tarred or cp'ed to the secure system will be difficult to track.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Re: Creating an Ignite config file based on existing system installation?

I'm not looking for added security, if you see what I mean. If point B is secure, and point A is unrestricted, then I'm trying to get from point A to point B, rather than point B to point A, as it were. I have a collection of filesets of various versions on the system in question which I'd like to be able to reconstruct from the original media, some of which match the original TCOE media, but others of which have been upgraded from software.hp.com downloads and what have you. I'd like to end up with an Ignite-UX compatible list of the filesets and versions which make up the target system, so that I'd be able to put together a depot with the applicable filesets and have them installed by Ignite.

Based on my reading, it seems that I'd be looking for something that would generate a set of sw_sel and sd_software_list directives based on the currently installed filesets. Does anyone know of or have anything like that?

As for additional custom drivers and whatnot, we'd just need to build packages and bundles for them of course, but having the majority of the OS installation on open media without special handling requirements would be a big help.