Operating System - HP-UX
1752735 Members
5685 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to setup new ignite server on PA servers ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mousa55
Super Advisor

How to setup new ignite server on PA servers ?

Dear All,

I want to setup a ignite server to take ignite backup of 10 servers. How much disk space required on ignite server, and what is type of this disk i can use? (local disk, shared disk from storge or both). and i have old PA-RISC server rp8420 Is it possible to use PA-RISC ignite server to take bake up of Integrity ((IA) BL860c i2 server, BL870c i2 server) and PA servers also.

Thanks and Best Regards
8 REPLIES 8
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to setup new ignite server on PA servers ?

An Ignite server is fairly simple to design. The disk does not have to be high performance at all since all the data (to and from) travels over a slow (relative to disk speeds) LAN connection. The Ignite server can be PARISC or Integrity. Download and install all versions of Ignite (11.11, 11.23 and 11.31) regardless of the version of the HP-UX server (must be 11.11 or higher).

As far as disk space, you must measure each server's storage for vg00 and then multiply the total by 2 or more, the number of backups you will want to keep. A very small server might have 5GB of vg00 files while a big server might have 10-15GB in vg00. However, a number of installations may have stored large application data or databases in vg00 so you may have some systems that require 50 to 100GB for each backup. Here is a script to add up the occupied space for vg00:

#!/usr/bin/sh
MB=0
for x in $(bdf|awk '/\/dev\/vg00\//{print $3/1000}')
do
MB=$(echo "$MB+$x"|bc)
done
echo $MB

This will print a single number for megabytes of occupied space. If you change the $3 to $2 in the awk command, you get the worst case summary of space, the maximum size of all the lvols.

So for 10 servers and 2 backups for each server plus 1 backup in progress), you'll need about 200GB to 900GB of storage, much more if vg00 is very large. I would allocate at least 1000GB to start and after several backups, look at the the free space on the backup server and adjust as needed.

Note that you will need to create a separate mountpoint for /var/opt/ignite since you want to isolate the Ignite backups from the rest of the system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Chandrahasa s
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You can configure ignite server on PARISC or IA box.

As you mentioned you have planned to use for 10 clients, so you may need around 3*2*10

60GB space,here 3GB image space +2 is 2 image copy and 10 clients.

for configuring ignite server refer below link.

http://docstore.mik.ua/manuals/hp-ux/en/IUX/infolib.html

Chandra

Assigning points will motivate each one in this forum.

chandra
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Dear All,

Very Very Thanks for your support.

How much disk space required on ignite server, and but what is kind of this disk i can use it?
local disk
or
shared disk from SAN storge
or
both

Thanks and Best Regards
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Dear All,

Very Very Thanks for your support.

but what is kind of this disk i can use it?
local disk
or
shared disk from SAN storge
or
both

Thanks and Best Regards
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The Ignite server software does not care about the type of disk it uses: you can use both local and SAN disks.

MK
MK
Scot Bean
Honored Contributor

The ammount of disk space needed for Ignite net recovery archives varies quite a bit by:

- how many versions of the archives you keep, the default is 2

- how many volume groups you include, most folks do just the root volume group

- the version of HPUX running on the clients, which OE you are using, extra optional SW installed, etc.

My images require ~ 2-6 GB per client per image. The smallest ones are running simple 11.11 setups. The biggest ones are running 11.31 with all SW installed on Itanium clients and some extra data disks.

Because the size needs can vary, and are usually large, I'd say many people use SAN disks for this.
vishnu.khandare
Respected Contributor

Hi Nijad,

No matter from where ur taking disk space from internal disk or from storage, its doest affect. Size matter as ur taking ignite of more no server.

Hope this solves ur qery.

Regards
Vishnu Khandare
You should deserve before U desire!!!!
Mousa55
Super Advisor

Thanks For All