1745862 Members
4583 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Ignite Restore on HPUX 10.20

glennes
Frequent Advisor

Ignite Restore on HPUX 10.20

I've looked at the relevant posts on the board, but cannot find one that addresses my question. My backup tape system is the DLT 4000 tape drive.

I successfully backed up my K370 using the ignite command:

# make_recovery -A -v -d /dev/rmt/0m

with the option -A specified to backup the entire core volume group/disk (vg00).

The operation completes with 'System Recovery Tape successfully created.'

However, even though the tape drive is listed in the boot choices menu as P1 (along with the boot disk as P0 and boot from LAN as P2), it has an ENTRY_TEST error which, as I understand it, means that the system could not find the boot entry point on the tape. Hence, the restore will not work since the system will not boot from the tape.

What am I doing wrong? My supposedly good backup tapes are not that good if I cannot boot from them to restore the system when needed.

Also, what is the command to get a listing of the files on the tape so I can verify all is being recorded?

Thanks for the help!

Glenn

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 9000 to HP-UX > ignite. - Hp forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite Restore on HPUX 10.20

The first thing to try is using the no-rewind tape device.

# make_recovery -A -v -d /dev/rmt/0mn

I believe later versions of Ignite check for that, but I don't think they did on versions for HP-UX 10.20.

I would also use the 'make_tape_recovery' command if you r version of Ignite supports it.

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -a /dev/rmt/0mn

glennes
Frequent Advisor

Re: Ignite Restore on HPUX 10.20

# make_recovery works with my version of Ignite.

# make_tape_recovery does not.

I tried making a backup with the no-rewind option as well as making one with the rewind option. In neither case does the tape drive show up as a bootable device. In both cases, it returns the error "ENTRY_TEST" meaning it cannot find the boot part of the tape image even though the # make_recovery procedure clearly states the boot information has been written to the tape.

What I need to know is why the system does not see the boot portion of the image when it recognizes the tape drive as a boot choice and how to correct this problem so that I can boot the system from the tape.

Thanks!

Glenn