4108 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite backup on SAN

chindi
Respected Contributor

Ignite backup on SAN

Hi ,

We have around 30 servers , whose i want to take ignite backup .

Its very cumbersome to take tape backup of all these servers on tape..

Instead can i take ignite image backup and keep that image in a filesystem ?

or i dont have any other option than configuring ignite server ?

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> Instead can i take ignite image backup and keep that image in a filesystem ?

Yes, ignite is made for this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

...Ignite network backup...

You probably need a bit more information. 

An HP-UX system needs to be designated as the network server. That's where your SAN storage will be attached and all 30 of your machines will backup their vg00 data to that server. All 30 systems need the latest version of Ignite. The best way to do this is to download the full version of Ignite (for all the HP-UX versions) from:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IGNITEUXB

On this Ignite server, install the above package, then use swcopy to create a depot so that all the other servers can install the minimum Ignite code from this server using swinstall, something like this:

swinstall -s igniteserver:/var/tmp/Ignitedepot Ignite-UX.MinimumRuntime

If you have very old versions of Ignite on any of your servers, it is best to swremove all remnants of Ignite before installing the current version. Once Ignite has been updated on all the servers, you'll need an Xwindow emulator on your PC or use a Linux system, then setup the DISPLAY variable on the Ignite server and run ignite. The GUI will walk you through the steps to add each client.

Once the clients have been setup, you can add the make_net_recovery command into cron and run a backup every few weeks. Keep at least 2 copies (which is the default).

To restore a system, you'll need to boot from the server. If the server is on a different subnet, you'll need a boothelper, either an Ignite boot CD or another HP-UX machine on the same subnet to act as the boothelper. These details are covered in the Ignite manuals:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=4077173

Bill Hassell, sysadmin