108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite unable to remsh on target machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Ignite unable to remsh on target machine

I have an Ignite server setup, and have used it to successfully 'Ignite' a machine which had been running HPUX11.0. However, I have now twwo machines (one of which was setup using Ignite initially) running HPUX10.20, which I cannot get Ignite to restart.

When I attempt to restart a new client, it finds the machine and then comes up with the error ...

"The target system "[targetcomputername]", is not allowing root remsh access by you (root@[servercomputername]). Would you like bootsys to set the .rhosts file on that system at this time? ([y]/n)"

When yes is chosen, it attempts again, and fails with the same message. I have checked the .rhosts file on the target and the entry appears (repeatedly. Once for each attempt I have made) but the access is still dnied. I have tried adding the entry manually to the .rhosts file, adding the servername to the regular hosts file, as well as creating and adding the server to the hosts.equiv file. I still get the same error on bot HPUX10.20 machines.

Thanks in advance for the help and I appreciate the time you are taking to assistme.

Sincerely,
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
10 REPLIES 10
Bruce Regittko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

A couple of things to check:

Is .rhosts in root's home directory (not necessarily /)?

Is the host in .rhosts listed in /etc/hosts (or your name service)? Use nslookup to verify.

Is .rhosts owned by root and not a symbolic link?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out,

--Bruce
www.stratech.com/training
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Bruce,

Thanks for the ideas. I double-checked all of the things you listed. Quick answers ...

Yes, both the server and the client I am trying to remsh to are listed in both machine's hosts file. Using nslookup I get a correct IP for each machine, on both machines.

The .rhosts file is in the correct home directory for 'root' (and it is '/ ')

And the .rhosts file is owned by root, as a member of the sys group.

More info. Tried some experiments. I added the servername and two account names to the SERVERS .rhosts files and attempted to remsh from the server to the server. I.E. while logged on as root on the machine SERVER, I typed the following command ...

#remsh SERVER ls

... and the 'ls' command executed, giving me a listing off SERVER.

I then tried the same command while logged into SERVER as a user, and the ls command ran. This tells me remsh is functioning fine on the server.

I then added the identical user account to the client machine in question and, while logged onto the client machine as root (and then as the user account) tried the same command. I.E. While logged onto CLIENT I typed ...

#remsh CLIENT ls

... and the command failed giving invalid logon. I tried all the above commands with the '-l ' switch (using root and username) and it succeeded on the SERVER and failed on the CLIENT machine.

I then tried to remsh CLIENT while logged onto SERVER (using both root and username) and it failed.

It seems to be a failure on the CLIENT machine, but I do not know enough about it to guess what it is.

Thanks again!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
Madhu Sudhan_1
Respected Contributor

Is "remshd" running on the server if not add the following statement to your /etc/inetd.conf

shell stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/remshd remshd

If the above statement is present and commented, uncomment and use the command to re-read the inetd.conf file.
# inetd -c

Hope this helps.

...Madhu

Think Positive
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Here's a couple more things to try ... if your still having the problem.
Check your /var/adm/inetd.sec file and make sure there isn't a condition set that would deny login from this other server. (Sounds silly I know, but I've seen it...)
Next thing to try is again doing the nslookup..do it with nslookup and see results then try nslookup and make sure you get the same results..I've seen it where a typo in the hosts file caused the name lookup to hit a different system.
Not that this will be the answer, but it's a couple things to try and at least rule out.

/rcw
Matt Livingston
Valued Contributor
Solution

One more thing to check, which has caught me out before.

If trying to remsh from 'thishost' to 'thathost':

Ensure that thishost's entry in thathost's /.rhosts file references thishost's *official* hostname, not an alias in /etc/hosts.
jherring
Regular Advisor

I agree with the above try the nslookup using the IP and the hostname and make sure they are matching. If the same IP or hostname is listed in /etc/hosts twice this can cause problems also.

Do telnet and rlogin work?

Jon
Rob Mallard
Valued Contributor

I think Matt has hit on the right solution. I have been tripped up by this before with NFS.
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Mike:

In addition to the other suggestions, you may want to check your /etc/nsswitch.conf on both servers. Another thing that you can do is to use IP addresses as opposed to domain names in the ~/.rhosts

Also, I recommend you try doing an rlogin from SERVER to CLIENT. if this asks you for the password then the problem probably has to do with name resolution. if it says connection refused, then, it is likely that remshd is not running - verify by running (on CLIENT):

netstat -a | grep shell

Good luck
PS. remember that .rhosts is in the home directory of the user
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for all the great advice. I tried everything that all of you suggessted, however nothing worked. I then took Matt Livingstons suggestion one step further.

As you recall, I was attempting (initially) to use ignite to start this server. Ignite uses the remsh command. When it failed, I attempted to do a remsh command independently and failed.

The entry in the .rhosts file was added by the ignite server and the entry included only the servers UNqualified name. I.E. [servername] root

I checked that this entry matched the entry which was in the hosts file, which was simply [servername] (again UNqualified.)

I also used the nslookup against the DNS server and the hosts file (using servername and IP) and they were both coming up identical, with just the UNqualified [servername].

For fun, I changed the entry in the .rhosts file to the FULLY qualified name of [servername.subdomain.domain]. Even though I DID NOT change the entry in the hosts file, nor on the DNS server (nslookup STILL responds with just [servername] ) the remsh command functioned.

Good bug to know with HPUX 10.20 Ignite. Quick reminder, this bug DID NOT occur with HPUX 11.0. Apparently, the resolution services got patched for 11.0.

Thanks for everyone who helped!
Mike