5592 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Ignite ux backup with syabase raw database

afterday
Occasional Contributor

Ignite ux backup with syabase raw database

Hi,

I'm planning to do an ignite backup on my HP ux, but there is Sybase db running in my hpux with the db data are store in a San storage.

1. Can I create a golden image without backing up the San storage data?

2. Can I backup the vg/ view of the data structure  that mounted to Sybase? So that when I restore the system, I can get back the Sybase database data just by reconnect back the connection to my HP ux ?

3. Do there have any document or information on how this can be done? I have try ignite-ux document base and Google but no information about how this can be accomplish?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Ignite ux backup with syabase raw database

1) Yes, you can create an Ignite back up without backing up your SAN storage.  It is recommended that you create an Ignite backup of VG00 ONLY.  Hopefully your Sybase DB is configured to be in a different volume group, if so this is easy.  When you create the Ignite backup specify the option '-x inc_entire=vg00' to include your entire VG00 only. 

2) The volume group configurations are backup by default when creating an Ignite backup.  When you restore from an Ignite the VG definitions are still there and it will try to activate the VGs by default.  I would recommend running the command 'vgexport -p -v -s -m /etc/lvmconf/<VGNAME>.map <VGNAME>' for each VG on the system as part of the Ignite backup.  This way you have a map file for each VG that you can use to reimport the VGs after an Ignite restore if necessary.

3) There is a wealth of documentation on creating and restoring via Ignite backups.  Are you going to create a tape based Ignite backup or a network based Ignite backup?  The command you use depends on which type you want to create.

afterday
Occasional Contributor

Re: Ignite ux backup with syabase raw database

hi,

i am using network to do the ignite-ux backup. So to recover the vg, i just needed to backup all the *.map file and re-import it after i have success recover it?

Thanks