New Discussion

Install HP-UX 11.31 to VM from Ignite-UX at another VM

SOLVED
Go to solution
mrlazyli
Occasional Contributor

Install HP-UX 11.31 to VM from Ignite-UX at another VM

Hello everyone,

I have problems about installation by Ignite-UX.

Host: HP-UX 11.31

VM1: HP-UX11.23, Ignite-UX 7.13.259

VM2: Empty

Both VMs are located at the same host machine. I add the same network adapter lan0 to both VMs to allow network connection. The network consist of only the host and another Windows machine which act as a terminal only.

I edit the /etc/bootptab file at VM1:

default:\
  hn:\
  bf=/opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi:\
  sa=192.168.1.62:
vm1131:\
  tc=default:\
  ht=ethernet:\
  ha=8AF4FBAAE6DF:\
  ip=192.168.1.63:

However, the VM2 cannot find the Ignite-UX server when boot from LAN. I wonder what happen to the VM2?

Thanks 

Frederick

3 REPLIES 3
mrlazyli
Occasional Contributor

Re: Install HP-UX 11.31 to VM from Ignite-UX at another VM

I suspect the VM2 cannot obtain IP from VM1, as there is the HPUX host can do the same DHCP function.

I wonder if there is any way to confirm connection from VM2 to VM1, something like ping command to confirm the connection at EFI or vMP menu?

BowlesCR
Advisor
Solution

Alternatively to BootP, you can use a manually allocated address AKA "direct boot". My environment does not use DHCP/BootP at all.

Boot VM2 to EFI shell, then:

Shell> dbprofile -dn dbprofile_name -cip client_IP_address -sip server_IP_address -m subnet_mask -gip gateway_ip_address -b /opt/ignite/boot/nbp.efi
Shell> lanboot select -dn dbprofile_name

From there, select the appropriate LAN interface and you should be able to bootstrap off the Ignite server. Twice during the ignite process it will attempt DHCP - interrupt it with CTRL+C (per onscreen instructions) to intervene manually.

mrlazyli
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

The project was left for a while. Now I can start installation of HP-UX by Ignite-UX with lanboot method. Thanks very much.

Frederick