108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Make_sys_image execute permissions denied

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Make_sys_image execute permissions denied

I am trying to use the make_sys_image command with HP_UX 10.20 and it gives me an "execute permissions denied" error. I tried running the file directly from a shared drive and then copied it to the /tmp directory on the local machine. I am getting the same error with both.

I am trying to run the command as root, however I did see that the file originally had 'bin' as owner. I 'su'ed to bin and used chmod to change the permissions with no luck. I eventually tried 'chmod 777 make_sys_image' which (as I understand it) should allow all users full access to it. I still got the execute denied error.

I then changed the ownership of the copied file (/tmp) to root, used 'chmod 777 make_sys_image' from root and then tried to run the command as root and still got the same error.

What am I missing. I am new to UNIX and Ignite. Thanks in advance for the help!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
8 REPLIES 8
Matt Livingston
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Make_sys_image execute permissions denied

On a 10.20 machine I have make_sys_image in /opt/ignite/data/scripts/

# pwd
/opt/ignite/data/scripts
# ll
total 154
dr-xr-xr-x 2 bin bin 1024 Jun 17 1999 examples
-r-xr--r-- 1 bin bin 1216 Oct 20 1998 findholes
-r-xr--r-- 1 bin bin 47033 Oct 20 1998 make_sys_image
-r-xr--r-- 1 bin bin 13407 Oct 20 1998 os_arch_post_c
-r-xr--r-- 1 bin bin 14004 Oct 20 1998 os_arch_post_l
#

make_sys_image is a script which is only executable by root. You said you are running this from a shared directory. As you are the root user on the local machine, not on the machine sharing the directory, you are not allowed to run it or change the permissions.

Perhaps your /.rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv settings are not quite correct? I am not very familiar with ignite-UX, so I am afraid I cannot offer much more.
Vincente Fernandes
Valued Contributor

dr-xr-xr-x 3 bin bin 1024 Feb 18 2000 .
dr-xr-xr-x 8 bin bin 1024 Feb 18 2000 ..
-r-xr--r-- 1 bin bin 50032 Jul 22 1999 make_sys_image
dr-xr-xr-x 3 bin bin 1024 Feb 18 2000 scripts
Here is what i have on our servers. Check the permissions for . & .. scripts dir. The only time i have found these error is when running it as non root user. Here is what i got when ruuning as a normal user.
$ /opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image
sh: /opt/ignite/data/scripts/make_sys_image: Execute permission denied.
You can use make_recovery to creates a bootable system recovery tape. do a man for details.
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Depending on how your filesystem is exported, root could be mapped to user 'nobody'.
(Check the /etc/exports file on the nfs server)

This could explain why you cannot execute the program from a remote mounted filesystem.

If you want to make a system image of your local system, you need a LOCAL install of ignite, if you want to make a system image of the remote (server) system, you'll have to be logged in as root on that server.

Could you please explain what are your intentions?

Best regards,

Dan

Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Dan,

Thanks for the input. I think you may have hit the nail on the head in your reply, stating that ignite must be installed locally to make a local sys image.

Tha manual was not clear and the impression I got was that you could export (or copy) the files from the server to another machine and use the make_sys_image, or make_recovery, files to create images and bootable recovery tapes respectively.

I have an ignite server functioning, and would like to be able to create a bootable recovery tapes, as well as generate golden images to reside on the Ignite server, for remote systems. I do not have ignite installed on the remote systems.

If I need to install Ignite on the systems to be imaged, can I install a minimum version which will allow the make_recovery and make_sys_image files to finction.

Thanks for the help and the imput!
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie
marc seguin
Regular Advisor

1- Use of make_sys_image.
It is a script you have to copy locally on your station, without installing Ignite product. Personnally, i copy it in /tmp directory, give execute permissions and run it as root :
cd /tmp
./make_sys_image -s ...
and it works alright.

2- Use of make_recovery
(seen on http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B2355-90677/B2355-90677.html)
You need to install part of Ignite product on your station :
Ignite-UX.RECOVERY
Ignite-UX.BOOT-KERNEL
Ignite-UX.FILE-SRV-release (release=10.20,11.00,...)
Ignite-UX.MGMT-TOOLS
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

Glad it helped !
Even if he claimed not to be an expert in Ignite-UX, matt was right as well, and his answer was posted before mine.

I think he deserves the 10 points for his answer.
You should have a look at this thread from Stefan Farrelli, it could help.

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x94f05f260cafd4118fef0090279cd0f9!0,00.html

;-)

Best regards,

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
marc seguin
Regular Advisor

Sorry to insist, but your last contribution could be misunderstood.

If you want to do a Golden Image of a station, you DON'T need to install Ignite-UX software on this station. Only to copy locally the script make_sys_image, which is self-sufficient.
(of course, if Ignite_UX is installed, it works as well)
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor

Dear seguin,

GOOD POINT! I should clear this up, although I have an additional question as well. You are correct...to run the make_sys_image (or make_recovery and make_net_recovery) you DO NOT need to install the entire package. The manuals state there is a minimum package which can be installed, which will allow these to be run on a client machine.

I installed the entire package for convenience, however when I attempted to just copy the make_recovery, make_sys_image or make_net_recovery commands to the client machine, they would not run (due to the need for support files which are installed with the minimum package-I am assuming.)

Unfortunately, I do not remember (at this time) the actual error messages I received when trying to run the commands after just copying them, so I cannot offer and solutions, nor even guarantee that I did not simply do something wrong.

Thanks for spotting that, and helping me avoid confusing people :-)

With thanks again for all the help,
Mike